HybridZ

Best place to buy 1/2" wheel spacers?

Good day everyone. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good place to get 1/2" wheel spacers (not adapters) for the s30. I e-mailed modern motorsports, but I am not getting a response there. Are they even still in business? There is no phone number on thier site that I can find. I guess I can just have some made at a machine shop, but I would prefer to buy something from within the z community if possible.

And for those that are going to say "search" and nothing else, I searched wheel spacers and read most posts all the way back to the beginning. I dont want adapters, and there doesnt seem to be much out there.

No dice there (ebay). There are adapters, but not spacers to fit the z. At least none that will ship to Canada. That was the first place I looked.

As well, this is for a track-only car. So the universal ones with the giant holes and/or stacking two 1/4" ones is not an option.

The reason I want spacers, not adapters is that this way the wheels can be retorqued each race. If I went with adapters, each wheel would need to be removed between each race to retorque the adapters.

You can stack the billet ones from Coleman Racing. They're expensive though and the pilot hole is just BARELY too small for a Z front hub, but that can be easily fixed. http://www.colemanracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2161

Also you might consider buying a piece of 1/2" plate and having a machinist do the work for you. The job of making the spacers doesn't seem very complicated. Might be cheaper than the $100 for 4 from Coleman.

I've had two sets of spacer/adapters and can tell you a couple of good sources. First, if its a spacer or the common Honda swap, go to Ross at Modern Motorsports. It probably will be easier for you anyways as He's located in Vancouver. His were top quality and I ran them before switching bolt patterns.

For this stage of the Z, I am running a two piece, 4x114.3 to 5x114.3 adapter made by http://www.motorsport-tech.com/. Their service is very good, their spacers are insurred, come with new studs, etc.

Don't settle for the cheap fleabay parts. Its your wheel, and the difference in quality may be the difference between your wheel staying with your car or passing you in the other lane.

Just my .02

Cheers!

Bryan

First off, the need for the spacer is to fit my 15" wheels over the brake upgrade (AZC 6 piston fronts, 4 piston rear). They are my old z wheels, just that they are too tight with those massive calipers sticking out so far. Then I started doing a bunch of research on spacers and I am convinced that handling can be "tuned" using different spacers. So my plan is to track down some ARP studs that are at least 1" longer than stock. That way I can try out different spacers in different situations. Obviously if I need spacers just to clear the brakes, that 1/2" is the lowest I can go, but having some 3/4" and/or 1" to play with would be nice. I will leave the rears at thier sock offset unless someone has a good reason to add width there. Everything I know about cars tells me that having the front slightly wider than the rear will be good for handling; of course within reason.

Again, the reason I don't want adapters is so that the bolts could be checked every race. I have always checked them, and always will.

omg, can you believe that Motorsport-Tech charges $45 shipping for each set of wheel spacers. Thats almost as much as they charge for the spacers themselves. And no discount for ordering more than one set at a time. 3 sets. still $45 shipping for each.

/me grumbles

Ordered a set from Baer, but they weren't sure if the CB will fit. Did you have to have yours machined down?

Wondersparrow: I have standard Datsun 240Z 4 x 114.3 on 4.5" spacing and DID NOT have to do any machining. If this is your situation also, I think you will like them.