HybridZ

2nd datsun 240z ever titled to the public in the world!! - $49000

I can vouch for Randy's cars. He is THE Z collector. Words cannot describe the 73. Unbelievable comes to mind. It looks like it rolled off the showroom floor. He is the ultimate Z connoisseur. His basement is a shrine to all things Z (with some 20+ cars) , and he believes in keeping them factory correct. John Williams does all his work. Every part right down to the hose clamps are factory correct. The hose clamps are even positioned exactly the way they were facing from the factory. He makes sure John puts everything back exactly as original. You will NOT find another specimen like this. I have seen the car on numerous occasions. It makes your jaw drop.

If Randy says the 70 is the second one sold in public - I believe him. He has a wealth of knowledge on these cars posessed by scant few. No details escape him. I have a friend who has #17 of a 77 200SX that was given to the owner of Kontrolle shocks back in the day and turned into a GT-3 car. Even his at #17 was not available to the public, so Nissan must have had a few of each model that go to specific destinations other than the general public.

Seriously though - the 73 - you'll never see one like it. The 70 - well - if John is doing the work, then it's going to be done properly, and with attention to detail that very few would follow. I think the price was set that way because of its' rarity, and to also keep Z car hacks from getting a hold of it and butchering it up. Ya gotta respect that.

The 73 car was just bought on ebay not to long ago. That car comes from NY and made its way down to Fl and back up to Ga. The lady who owned it, sold it last year from 10k! She really needed the money. A guy I met via internet bought it and then offered it to me for 15k....nice but I like hotrods....then he listed it on Ebay which is sold for alil over 20K and now for sale for $35k. I have seen lots of pics of this car and let me tell you...it is GREAT! Randy should get $30k for it but today's market makes that pretty hard. If you want a restored s30 and just want to drive it....there ya go.

As for #17.....second to #16. Those early 1969 Zs have an extra 10k price on them just because of how rare they are. I am not a purist and not made from money...but if I had the chance to own a very rare Z I would because I do love the car. In the same statement, our Zs will never be worth American muscle cars....and I think our cars are peeking in value now. As the generation who grew up with the car slowly dies off...so will the "true" following too.

I can vouch for Randy's cars. He is THE Z collector. Words cannot describe the 73. Unbelievable comes to mind. It looks like it rolled off the showroom floor. He is the ultimate Z connoisseur. His basement is a shrine to all things Z (with some 20+ cars) , and he believes in keeping them factory correct. John Williams does all his work. Every part right down to the hose clamps are factory correct. The hose clamps are even positioned exactly the way they were facing from the factory. He makes sure John puts everything back exactly as original. You will NOT find another specimen like this. I have seen the car on numerous occasions. It makes your jaw drop.

If Randy says the 70 is the second one sold in public - I believe him. He has a wealth of knowledge on these cars posessed by scant few. No details escape him. I have a friend who has #17 of a 77 200SX that was given to the owner of Kontrolle shocks back in the day and turned into a GT-3 car. Even his at #17 was not available to the public, so Nissan must have had a few of each model that go to specific destinations other than the general public.

Seriously though - the 73 - you'll never see one like it. The 70 - well - if John is doing the work, then it's going to be done properly, and with attention to detail that very few would follow. I think the price was set that way because of its' rarity, and to also keep Z car hacks from getting a hold of it and butchering it up. Ya gotta respect that.

Well hot damn then. I guess poor broke ol' me just doesn't understand collector appeal of a Z car. Sure, I'd love to get my hands on a really early Z, but I probably wouldn't be *that* nice to it. Maybe not hybridize it, but not a complete restore either.

Just for clarification #16 was the first 240Z availible to the public so #17 was the second and is owned by a member of the Suncoast Z Car Club in the Tampa, FL area.

The cars 1 - 15 were used for racing and promotion. Enjoy!

Oh wow.....

I can't understand why all the stuff on the 73 car was replaced if it only had 6K mmiles on it though... :lol:

The low mileage stuff is awesome to me, but the low number stuff is interesting and neat, but I could honestly care less. I like the 70 cars for what they were; the different vent style, the look of the defrost lines going the wrong way, the general antique feel. The actual number just limits the desire to modify it.

I would love to get a nice 70 240 to do a mid-high comp, dual SU 2.8 with a sleeper electronic ignition and super super clean engine bay, original chrome with euro tails, and modern stereo with a nice 4 speaker system... Polished Libras or slot mags on her, white with a hint of pearl and a giant Datsun logo on the roof.... Standard ducted front airdam and a BRE rear spoiler, moderate window tint on the sides.

I haven't thought about this much.

I am not sure if he is correct on it being the second, maybe fifth or sixth?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/cto/1061973165.html

He also has this ad,

1973 DATSUN 240Z W/ 5,975 ORIGINAL MILES!!! - $35000

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/cto/1061868197.html

Not an entirely accurate statement. At best, this might be the 2nd 240Z titled in USA.

The Z had been on sale in Japan for about a year prior to the first shipment to USA.

I own a 1969 240Z VIN#HS30-430. The L in the VIN number denotes left-hand drive for the North American market.

Not an entirely accurate statement. At best, this might be the 2nd 240Z titled in USA.

The Z had been on sale in Japan for about a year prior to the first shipment to USA.

I own a 1969 240Z VIN#HS30-430. The L in the VIN number denotes left-hand drive for the North American market.

The first S30-series Zs to be delivered to dealers in Japan started arriving in late October and early November of 1969. Deliveries to the north American market started arriving in the first few months of 1970 - so there was a gap, but it was nothing like as much as a year.....

I think 'HS30-00430' would have been built in the latter half of 1970, so it isn't a "1969" car.

'HS30' ( RHD Export type ) prefixed cars were built in 1969, but not in any great quantity. Nissan Shatai were concentrating on building 'S30' prefixed Fairlady Z and Fairlady Z-L models, 'PS30' prefixed Fairlady Z432 and Fairlady Z432-R models, and 'HLS30' prefixed Datsun 240Z models, in the first few months of production. It is important that we acknowledge that 'HS30' prefixed RHD Export market cars were part of the concept, design, engineering and productionisation processes from the very beginning ( especially since we are often misleadingly told that the 'HLS30' models led all ), but RHD Export production was sidelined for many months whilst LHD Export and RHD Domestic model production was ramped up. Apart from many other factors, Nissan Shatai and its suppliers simply could not keep up.......

The 'L' prefix in 'HLS30' denotes Left-hand drive, but for all LHD Export markets - not just the north American market. Not all HLS30s were created equal......

• 8 months later...