HybridZ

78z runs for 20 mins, then sputters then dies.

TXCASE801

please help. i have a 78 (11-77) 280Z, new fuel pump, new fuel pressure reg. the car runs for a bit, (no wide open throttle, hesitates a lil) then finally will start sputtering then will die ( engine will spit and pop from the throttle body). after it dies, the car will not start. if i pull the in fuel line off (from the fuel filter to the engine) gas will spray out with a ton of pressure. the car will start eventually but will die the same way in just a bit. thanks jj :cuss:

Check your fuel lines going to the tank along with the tank. Seems like it may be getting clogged up after running a little bit. It backfiring from the intake can mean lean conditions which could mean its clogged.

Also, probably not a good idea to pull off the fuel line while its running... or under pressure.

There should still be fuel pressure in the lines after you turn the car off, so pulling the lines will cause fuel to spray into the air(I know from first hand experience). There could be a vacuum leak. Have you changed anything on the engine? Any upgrades?

yes sorry it has a new fuel filter. i blew out the lines at the fuel pump both ways the blew the lines at the fuel filter both ways. the car has been sitting since 1989. the guy i got it from drained the tank, but said he could never get it running. the rubber piece from the maf to the throttle body was rotten but i repaired the leak. the car runs pretty good for a few minutes but stumbles trying to get wide open throttle. it will go about 1/4 mile then starts loosing power. it then finally acts like its starving for fuel, starts popping from the intake, then dies. it will restart later once its cooled off. i checked one of the plugs, it was not wet. someone said the black box on the dist was going out but i checked a plug wire and it appears to have a good hot spark.????????????

I think I'm dealing with the exactly same issue on my 76 Z with a turbo swap.

Can you hear the fuel pump when the car is running? Does it start making noises then finally quit?

Do you have a filter before the pump?

My Carter pump has a strainer before it, and this is what I'll find:

http://www.jeepz.com/forum/all-other-jeep-models/21491-gas-turned-jelly.html

http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10632

The pick up gets full of this ♥♥♥♥, and after the car cools down, it'll unclog itself. In colder days/nights, I can drive long distances before this starts happening, it seems this crap gets loose once warmed and gets easier to be sucked into the pickup/pump.

It burns like fake napalm...

(I've replaced all the same parts on my car and didn't notice this crap till I went to mess with the fuel pump again and saw it caught on the strainer).

The cure? So far I think dropping the tank and cleaning it out with alcohol, same with the lines. I am going to try one more thing first, if it is a microbial infection, supposedly if you add water remover and biocides (which should be available from boat supply stores) it might dissolve all the jelly. I've been messing with this for over a month and no one has been able to figure it out...

hey i would lik to say thanks to everybody who has took the time to write and help me out. again thanks very much.

i removed the tank today is was nasty about 1/3 the way down. i blew the return line on the tank it seemed clogged up or at partially. i took the tank to the shop to get it cleaned and lined.

every gauge on the car worked except the gas gauge. i cleaned it up it was crusty and now it works ((((yeaaaaaaaaaa))).

i blew out every line in the fuel system all blow freely so i hope this fixes my problems.

i will be installing a fuel filter just before the pump just for extra security.

i cleaned the pump with berrymans, it took an hour but its clean now. i hope its ok. it was nasty at first, dark colored and slimy.

i should get the tank back saturday so i will post soon. thanks again jj

if the car still has problems after the tank job, I say the ignition module is going out.

runs good for awhile, starts to run bad, shuts down, then starts up again after awhile. repeat.

classic signs.

the ignition module is a black box around 4x4x1 inches under the dash on the passenger side.

hey thanks again everybody.... got the tank in, it looked brand new. after running it started running bad replaced the thermotime switch ... and the terminals were corroded cleaned and also cleaned the tps and the maf. car runs pretty good i think with time and after cleaning it will be good to go. one last thing what is the air adjustment jet proper setting? 1 or 2 turns out or what. thanks again jj