HybridZ

Are We Back To Normal?

RB26powered74zcar

Joel,

How often is this happening? I have not seen this problem.

Is anyone else getting this error message?

dan

It's happened to me several times today alone. When it happens, I can open another tab and then open any other website I click on. I think for me anyways, this has started since our last down time.

Hope this helps... :-D

Happened to me a few times yesterday. I thought it might have been Firefox wigging out so I immediately tried IE but with the same effect. It would go away a minute or two later.

I haven't had any problems at all today though.

Only one problem that I've encountered. Not sure whose end it's on.

When I click on a thumb nail embedded in a post, most times, A black "veil" appears over most of the page. (only HybridZ)

I am not aware of any other problems.

Only one problem that I've encountered. Not sure whose end it's on.

When I click on a thumb nail embedded in a post, most times, A black "veil" appears over most of the page. (only HybridZ)

I am not aware of any other problems.

It's supposed to be like that. The page darkens and the picture pops up, with control buttons below it. Nice feature IMO.

It happens to me too. Mostly late at night, past midnight-4am. Normally hitting refresh will bring it back, but sometimes it takes a min or two. I didn't mention anything because I don't think it's a problem with the site. For me, I get a "Site not found", not a "Network timeout" error. It happens almost instantly, while a network timeout normally takes at least four seconds, if not longer. Looks more like a DNS error, perhaps something with the routers at the co-lo. Seems to take longer to bring up the error then if it was a core router, but just enough time to hit the destination network.

Something that would be great to help diagnose is a network monitor. Sending out pings to hbz every few seconds, and when one fails it captures DNS and route information, seeing how far the ping got and what network it terminated in. I think solarwinds made a great suite for stuff like that, I'll have to check later to see if I still have it.

Okay, hbz was down from about 10:42 till about 11:02, PST, on 3/13/09. Bloody friday the 13th... Here's what I got. A trace route ended with hop 9, hops 10 and 11 being un-reachable. Here's my trace, with all the important stuff, and the complete (normal) hops below.

Failed:

Tracing route to forums.hybridz.org [72.214.7.53]

5 12 ms 13 ms 11 ms ex1-p10-0.pxpaca.sbcglobal.net [151.164.190.82]

6 14 ms 12 ms 13 ms 151.164.251.210

7 47 ms 34 ms 35 ms fed1dsrj02-ge610.0.rd.sd.cox.net [68.1.0.207]

8 36 ms 36 ms 34 ms 68.6.8.163

9 35 ms 34 ms 24 ms elcncmtk01-gex0200.sd.sd.cox.net [68.6.11.29]

10 * * * Request timed out.

11 * * * Request timed out.

Normal (failed, continued):

8 64 ms 44 ms 25 ms 68.6.8.55

9 26 ms 34 ms 25 ms elcncmtk01-gex0200.sd.sd.cox.net [68.6.11.29]

10 43 ms 41 ms 31 ms wsip-72-214-7-53.sd.sd.cox.net [72.214.7.53]

A trace from the east cost shows the last hop before failure to be

68.6.11.25 elcncmtk04-gex0100.sd.sd.cox.net

and the next hop is the hbz IP.

So it's either a problem with hop 9, the server itself, or Cox communications. Or there's some transparent routing where the server is hosted causing issues. I think it's either the server or a block of IPs with routes miss-configured, or most likely a router at hbz's public IP not working.