HybridZ

KA24DE swap

AK-Z

I'm starting this thread because I saw some one posting questions and was move to the tool shed and I don't have privileges to post.

Also I am currently doing the swap.

As far as I can see and from what I have done, the KA swap is pretty much the same as a SR swap.

Some issues I've come across:

the way the fan belt is setup, if you remove the power steering pump, then the water pump won't work.

So you either need:

electric water pump

move the alternator by either making a PS delete bracket or buy one

Keep the PS pump and get a PS rack (My haines 280zx FSM says that the 280zx came with an PS rack and "pitman setup (bad)")

If you are going with moving the alternator (what I did, and made my brackets), You are going to have a problem with the water inlet/thermostat housing rubbing against the belt. to get around this, I just bought a KA24"E" thermostat housing. If fits right on and clears that belt.

Another issues is the front sump oil pan. Since I am fabbing the front chassis I have the option of moving the cross member/suspension forward about an inch. The problem with "this" is that I will have to cut off the steering rack mount plate and weld a new one to move the forward, or cut and weld a piece of pipe on the steering shaft.

I am also going to turbo it, but thats a whole other issue and who ever is interested in it can look up everything at KA-T.org

I currently have limited bandwidth right now so I can't post pics right now.

• 2 months later...

The later updated 280ZX had a rack and pinion power steering unit (82'-83')

I believe that was the ONLY power steering options for those years, as I can verify myself that the mounting brackets for the rack aren't compatible with the earlier year's (79'-81') crossmember.

When I did my turbo conversion in an 81' the donor was an 83' and I wanted the power rack setup, so I just swapped the entire front end. I just unbolted it off both cars and literally just wheeled it over to the other car and had someone help me hold it in place so I could bolt it up.

Long post just to say there WAS a power rack and pinion. So it's an option for those that might want to keep the factory PS pump on the KA.

But thats only the cross member and the tranny mount correct? There are some things to be done in order to run without power steering.

Check this out bro, there is a picture with some info on how to do the non-powersteering modification:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=149772

I was at Mckinney motorsports recently, and they have a dual cam ka sitting in a s30 chassis. looks clean and fits well! sits very simular to my setup and even clears the EGR tube for those in california that want to swap in a torque monster, higher revving dual cam 4 banger and stay 100% smog legal!

Im a complete noob at this.what can you do with the cores? dont you need the bunch of stuff?

If anyone wants some KA24DE cores I have 3 that are going to the scrap yard tomorrow if no one claims them. Local pick up only though.

If anyone wants some KA24DE cores I have 3 that are going to the scrap yard tomorrow if no one claims them. Local pick up only though.

shouldn't you be posting this in the sales forums, even though you are giving them away.