HybridZ

How can I tell if my 240z headlamp covers are original NOS or repro? pics attached...

I purchased my Z a while ago with these headlight covers already on the car but I never asked the previous owner if they were NOS Nissan parts or reproduction. How can I tell? Thanks for your help and be sure to keep an eye out in the classified section for my car, I'll be listing it sometime this week for sale.

-Dave

102_0663.jpg

125_0572.jpg

125_0618.jpg

125_0594.jpg

125_0584.jpg

135_3587.jpg

135_3594.jpg

125_0597.jpg

They look like Nissan units. Really the only way to tell is remove them and check the ring construction. Or at least remove a screw. They should be M5 machine screws, and not oval headed stainless steel sheetmetal screws.

Then again, it wouldn't be the first time I saw OEM rings held on with the oval-headed screws because someone didn't want to mount the proper nutplates on the light bucket...

The ring construction will tell. Alan Thomas posted some photos someplace about it. No doubt if you contact him he can shoot you them to assist in determining their build origin.

Will this car be at the MSA West Coast Nationals April 24,25, 26th?

Thanks Tony D! I'll remove one of the rings when I get home and see if that helps. Not sure if I'll still have the car for the show since I'm planning on listing it on ebay tonight. I took it to the show back in 2003 and it won best in class.. I'll let someone else take the trophe this time ;)

-Dave

• 8 months later...
The shape of your lenses lead me to believe that they are probably originals, and not reproductions. See the following picture. The OEMs follow the line of the car like yours do, the repros do not.

ZcarParts4Sale001-1.jpg

EXCELLENT COMPARO PHOTO!

I think that one should be given it's own title (How to spot repro headlight covers) and stickied in the body section!

That is an EXCELLENT visual aid. Really makes the point what is right and what is wrong.

Now I got to do a side-by-side with mine! LOL