HybridZ

sad day today, lost a close friend last night.

Nizm0Zed

Well, bit of an upsetting morning for me.

I discovered my friend of several years dead in my back yard.

Roger, had been mauled by a drop bear.

(roger is my pet kangaroo)

Normally i let him sleep inside, as it can be a little dangerous at night, he likes (well liked) to roam around and i guess visit the ladies? but many wild roos will get hit by cars at night, or in rarer occasions attacked by other animals.

We had heard reports of a drop bear being in our area, but seeing as they are very uncommon, and we hadnt seen much other evidence, we hadnt taken it too seriously.

Just in case you fellas dont know, and i wouldn't imagine you would, seeing as its an aussie thing, drop bears are the slang name for feral koala's, once they get a taste for meat they become more dangerous.

they allready have pretty decent claws on them anyway, for climbing trees, but tey'll do a lot of damage to animals, and very rarely, people.

they are called drop bears, because they wait for their prey to come under the tree they are in, and they drop down on them.

well, i had roger for about 12 years now, he was getting old anyway, i havent been able to ride him for a few years as he was starting to develop athritis (thats what the vet said)

So normally he'd just laze arond in the yard, eating grass.

well, its sad, but i guess maybe its time to get another one?

My son is nearly 5 now, so maybe i'll get him a pet one, if we get a joey, he'll be able to ride him to school in a year or so.

rip roger, you'll be missed.

roger.jpg

An Australian friend of mine told about these drop bears. He used to work maintence on the Sydney harbor bridge and he and his co-workers had to inspect the bridge carefully before they started work so as to not get attacked by these feral koalas. Sounded scary!

Here's a quick reference for those not in the know...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_bear

sorry to burst your bubble fellas, but drop bears really DO exist.

the rumour that they dont actually exist and were made up, is actually a rumour propogated by aussies to further confuse and scare non-locals.

This is taught to all school kids, usually around grade 5-7 when they start going to class camps.

national conformity on the matter keeps everyone in line, and the stories straight.

i can however tell you that the bunyip is no more (extinct about 200 years ago) but the yowie is still at large.

You have my condolences. I had a Yellow lab. That dog never ceased to amaze me, and put a smile on My face, everyday.. The day he passed on, broke my heart (13 yrs old.) My pal Jasper hasn't been replaced. Maybe one day.

Ignore the jealous kiwi, all they have over there are flightless birds, and lots of deer.

i hear the birds are good eating though.

TBH, i hadnt even realised that it is soo damn soon to april 1, hmmm, im gonna have to come up with something good to mess with everyone......

I got sucker in by the CARB/Black Car thing....now I am not sure what to think of this. When I was in the Navy I spent some great times in Australia but do not recall any talk about "Drop Bears", I was only ever concerned about Sallies and the hope that they would leave by the morning. I have only been to Perth, Darwin, Brisbane and Townsville so maybe "Drop Bears" are not a problem there. If the story of Roger is true I hope you are able to find a new Roo for the family.