HybridZ

what are the NHRA rules for suspension on fast 1/4 mile cars

Guest 2002sentraSER

OK, from the 2002 rulebook, E.T. class:

"Cars running 10.99 or quicker that weigh more than 2000 pounds with IRS without upper and lower (both) control arms must replace swing axle differential with conventional differential housing assembly. Cars with IRS using upper and lower (both) control arms may retain swing axle assembly regardless of weight or e.t."

That is for Super Pro, Pro, Sportsman classes, running 7.5 or slower

Looks like you'll have to switch out that axle to compete in NHRA--sorry

BTW, it also states that you must retain at least on operating hydraulic shock absorber per wheel--rigid mounted suspensions are prohibited

The rule book also has contact info for the various divisional directors and tech leaders--they may be able to tell you if the strut will act as a control arm, but I honestly dont think it will count--if you want to call them, let me know what state you are in and I'll post the info

if you need any of the other specs, let me know and I'll look em up for you

I found some more info at NHRA.com...

NHRA finalizes 1999 rules changes

9-7-98

INDIANAPOLIS - The NHRA General Rules Committee

finalized rule changes for the 1999 racing season at a meeting Wednesday night during the U.S. Nationals. Details on some rule changes are still being ironed out, but highlights of the changes are as follows.

E.T. Brackets

A long-standing rule that requires any car with

independent rear suspension (IRS), weighing over 2000 pounds, and running 10.99 or quicker to replace the IRS with a conventional rear-end housing has been modified.

For 1999, only those IRS designs which utilize a lower control arm only (like a 1963 to 1982 Corvette) will have to comply with the above requirement. If the suspension utilizes both upper and lower control arms, the IRS may be retained regardless of weight or e.t.

cheers.gif

Don

Guest 2002sentraSER

because i plan on running between 400-500 wheel power in my z with a stipped interior and slicks so will i have to have a solid axle in the dc metro area

I would think that for the purpose of safety the rule was designed for, that in the case of the Jag and Vette, the halfshaft serves AS a control arm to locate the rear hub lose one and the wheel goes every which way.

In the case of the Z - the strut serves as the other, and losing an axle (heaven forbid) would not affect the orientation of the wheel in any plane, so should be ok.

Of course, they probably don't want us stomping all over their current patrons, so I wouldn't be surprised if they say no - in spite of logic.