HybridZ

R200 w/ 12 mm bolts?

jhaag

I'm looking for an R200 diff with 12mm ring gear bolts. Can anyone tell me what year, model (turbo or non-turbo) or trans (manual, auto) had an R200 with 12 mm bolts? I saved various online threads from different forums on this topic and as I recall there were some disagreements on what years had 12 mm bolts. I'm at work so I can't look at my notes until I get home. Thanks!

John Haag

There are discrepancies. I believe that 12 mm ring gear bolts started around the time of the 280ZX turbo of '83, and that all 84 and up R200s should be 12 mm. Some people say only 87 and up but I am pretty sure that is wrong. I have an 85 300zx turbo r200 diff I have not pulled the cover off of yet, but I will to confirm this argument one way or the other if you want.

Guest Anonymous

What about the 4.11 200sx R200's I thought I read somewhere that it was 6/85+ production dates that were the 12mm units and anything earlier had the 10mm bolts. I guess I could go throw mine in the vice and pull the cover and take a look since it's not installed, but I'm at work so that's kinda tough at the moment.

Ok, pulled the cover off of my '85 300zx turbo diff. It is an open carrier (we knew that) with a gear set manufactured 5 3 21 or the 21st day of the 3rd month of the 5th year (March 21, 1985). And it has 12mm ring gear bolts (11.98mm on my Mitutoyo digital caliper). I'm quite pleased with that because that is why I bought it since I already had 3 or 4 10mm 3.54 geared r200s. Does anybody have an 83 diff to take apart? In talking to Reider Racing in the past, the diff they had showed 82 and up. Anybody with an 82-83 diff they can pull a ring gear bolt on and measure? Turbo or NA?

I spoke to Carl Beck who does a lot of work with the IZCC site about the 12mm question. He sent the following but recognized it wasn't a definitive answer to the question.

"According to the Nissan Competition Parts Catalog: The R200's used in the 280Z/280ZX used 10mm ring gear bolts.

"Some" of the R200's in the Z31 used 10mm and some used 12mm ring gear bolts. You would have to inspect them - if a 14mm socket fits the head - it's a 10mm bolt.. if a 17mm socket fits the head - it's the 12mm bolt.

As far as I can see - they give no application dates, nor specific models as to which had what size bolt in the 300ZX R200's."

We're slowly gathering some information. smile.gif

John

• 1 year later...
Thanks Don. Looks like the break is somewhere between 83-85.Eventually we get enough of them taken apart, we'll know!

Another data point: I pulled an R200 from an '84 300ZX Turbo today and it had the 12mm bolts. I recently bought a NISMO LSD carrier and needed a 12mm style ring gear to work with it. The R200 I already had from a 280Z used the 10mm bolts. One caveat, this diff I just pulled at a local Pull-A-Part yard had some yellow paint marks (illegible) like those commonly found on used parts, so it may not have been an original.

Paul

Ross had talked about machining ring gear spacers, but needed a group of people to commit to do so. I know that when I worked for Randy's Ring and Pinion we had some shouldered ring gear bolts made up for the new Jeep Rubicons, because they use smaller ring gear bolts than the previous Dana 44's, so shouldered bolts would also be an option (this was the exact same problem in a different vehicle).

I think I'm just going to try and find a 200SXT diff myself.

Jon

Ok Working off the parts fiche at z31.com I can pass on the following.

In the 2 pinion open Diff the Ring gear bolt part No changes from the 9 month 1985 to 38120-12S00. The 4 pinion 0pen,clutch lsd and Viscous lsd all use this part No.

The s13 open and viscous lsd also lists the same bolt part No.

My open diff which came out of an Aus turbo had ring gear markings 31/10/85 is 12MM bolts, whereas the first one was out of an 84 open diff the ring gear was marked 11/83 was 10mm.

Thats all the light I can shed on it. Neil

Edit All 280ZX inc turbo are 10mm P/No38102-n3100.