HybridZ

Spring 09 updates to my RBZ

Almost a year later, I've been basically racing the Z and making a few improvements here and there, but mostly just trying not to break it so I can concentrate on the new project. But since I got a new camera I recently got the itch to capture the Z on video before I go and change it again (or worse).

From the look of this forum, it looks like others are either simply enjoying there Z's as well, or RB projects are really slowing down. I'm finding the old Z is getting more rare every day.

Anyhow, the following is my first edit of the video. Eventually I hope to get better shots of the exterior once I find a nice parking lot to do some shooting in (i used older footage for those shots in this edit)

http://web.mac.com/markrolston/NewSite/Z-Blog/Entries/2010/7/4_A_Quick_Video.html

enjoy,

mark

• 1 month later...

Here's a small update to my car: Ever since I changed the turbos to an up-mount setup I've had problems with the air filters...I keep melting the rear filter with the forward turbo. Yup. And I'm sure that turbo, or even both, are sucking in too-warm air. So I decided to build a cold air intake. But instead of doing it with piping, I decided to do something unique- make it a molded-fit piece out of carbon fiber. The new part should move more and colder air.

Andris Laivins is helping do the CF work. It's partway done now with a simple foam mold of the available space for this airbox. The next step is to shave down the foam into something more rounded and purposeful in shape. Then we'll wrap it with CF. The front 4" opening will mate to a 90 degree pipe bend and down to an air filter behind the airdam. Final pics of the part are coming in a few days.

mark

4878634334_4db491ddf4_b.jpg

4878634562_5f9a2514f8_b.jpg

4878026037_99242a7ded_b.jpg

4878635010_0a90293c64_b.jpg

Edited by markrolston@mac.com

The final part is finished. We got it polished and installed friday just before a local show in Austin (http://web.mac.com/markrolston/NewSite/Z-Blog/Entries/2010/8/21_Texas_Nissan_Meet.html)

4914216841_3d8e5373b2_b.jpg

The complete set of pics for the build of this part are on my site:

http://web.mac.com/markrolston/NewSite/Z-Blog/Entries/2010/8/20_New_cold-air_intake.html

mark

4914820670_24c253214d_b.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hey Mark, I was shocked to just come across a link to your car on Core77!

Ever since seeing you're car I've been curious as to what you did for a job, although figured it wasn't my business to search around. To an aspiring product design engineer you are quite an inspiration with the cars you're building, yet alone everything else.

It's good to see you can happily look past the Datsun badge.

-Evan