HybridZ

Driveshaft loops for halfshafts?

Zfreak

Has anyone out there fabricated driveshaft loops for their halfshafts? I was thinking of mounting the loop to the A arm so that it will move up and down with the suspension. Fabricating it out of some 4in schedule 40 pipe and then welding a tower/bracket to the pipe and then mounting it to the A arm. With this design I will have to remove the halfshafts to install the loop. Anybody have any better ideas?

What is the need for loops on the halfshafts? I don't think the drag racing authorities require them, do they? I suppose it would protect your suspension on breakage, but I'm not sure it's the same safety issue as the drivshaft loop.

Just thinking out loud. It sounds like a good implementation, but you will be adding unsprung weight (irrelevant for drag racing, of course).

Originally posted by SleeperZ:

What is the need for loops on the halfshafts? I don't think the drag racing authorities require them, do they? I suppose it would protect your suspension on breakage, but I'm not sure it's the same safety issue as the drivshaft loop.

Just thinking out loud. It sounds like a good implementation, but you will be adding unsprung weight (irrelevant for drag racing, of course).

The driveshaft loop keeps the driveshaft in a neutral position if it breaks so it does not slap all over the underbody of your car. Ive had a halfshaft break and it was LOUD slapping on the underbody. It left some nice healthy dings. Id hate to have a big driveshaft snap on me.

Yeah, the driveshaft loops are required by lots of racing organizations. NHRA?

Originally posted by David Karey:

The driveshaft loop keeps the driveshaft in a neutral position if it breaks so it does not slap all over the underbody of your car. Ive had a halfshaft break and it was LOUD slapping on the underbody. It left some nice healthy dings. Id hate to have a big driveshaft snap on me.

Yeah, the driveshaft loops are required by lots of racing organizations. NHRA?

Hehe, yup, the import racing too. I'm in process of installing a loop so my new slicks can be legal (faster than 13.99) :D

Guest MistressMotorsports

This is a pretty neat idea. I had a halfshaft break at Buttonwillow last year, and it beat the crap out of my brake line. Fortunately, it didn't puncture the line, but it easily could have. Definitely something to consider, especially if running a locked diff.

Mike

Has anyone out there fabricated driveshaft loops for their halfshafts?

Yes, it's been done by a few cars in Idaho that I'm aware of, similar to what you say. You could do it with a flanged portion for driveshaft re and re I suppose. I had one snap off at hubside while I was at an idle (bolts shook right out so that only 3 of the 6 were remaining after some high speed blasts during my grad degree when zero car maintenance was done). It slapped around hard just at an idle....I'd hate to have that happen at speed, it would definitly do some damage to control arm/brake line and ebrake as it nicked all three while I was just idling.

Geez, you have good inteligence sources, John. If I got Erik's brief message right, I have a bent rod between the driver's side rear control arm and the upright (knew that already), and a bent passenger side control arm (didn't know that). Could be wrong, I just asked Erik to go through everything and give it back right. I can't wait to get to Willow in a couple of weeks. If this thing doesn't go :33's I'm going to retire as a driver, since the car will obviously be capable of at least that.

Mike

Speaking of Drive shaft loops... What is everyone using, I seriously need one b4 this season starts. I have seen 5.0 mustang loops in summit for around $30 and was considering one of those. I would like to spot-weld (or tac) one on because I do not want to drill holes in my under body of the car.

The day Erik brought your parts to his shop was all-you-can-eat bad spagetti night. After eating our fill at Perry's Pizza Bryan, Erik, and I proceeded to inspect your Z parts until about 11pm that night. Something just didn't look right and we were bound and determined to find out.

It appeared that the guy you bought the car from didn't do you any favors with the rear suspension. The only races he could have won with that were ones where every other car in ITS failed to finish.

I think you'll be much happier and more confortable in the car when Erik get's it done. And turning a '33 at Willow should be easy.

John, you're right about that mess that passed for a suspension. No wonder I didn't like the way it handled. Erik Seems to have found out that the car had a different suspension in it in 98 when it won the PCRRC. Apparently, it was a competitive car for exactly one race, then back to crap. Anyway, it will be competitive again shortly.

Mike