HybridZ

What's the cost of a fuel cell install?

I don,t have a clue in L.A. but ID bet serious money you could buy , or at least place a large deposit on a small miller MIG welder for the cost of the install labor cost if its done correctly, so ID suggest doing it yourself, done correctly its protected with a roll cage guard frame to prevent or at least limit damage in a crash, and to support the weight of the tank and fuel and protect the fuel pump and locate the fuel filters etc.

Before you drop off the car get a detailed list of costs and the work to be done, theres a world of differance between just fabricating a couple brackets and bolting a small 5-10 gallon fuel cell into a cars trunk and setting up the fuel system correctly so its safe in a roll over or rear end impact

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=733&p=3532&hilit=return#p3532

http://www.welders-direct.com/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WD&Product_Code=907335

Edited by grumpyvette

Depends on the fuel cell. A SCCA/FIA approved 15 gallon cell installed per the rule books, with an aluminum sheet metal cover will run about $850. That doesn't include the cost of the cell or plumbing.

Cutting the hole is the easy part. Building the frame, drilling and installing Rivnuts, and bending/fitting the aluminum cover are where the labor is.

Thanks for the detailed info. If I went with a 10 gallon cell, would I save any weight after all the fab work? Not having to replace all the hoses and deleting the evap tank is very appealing to me, not to mention the sump for FI. I can't seem to find a baffled Z tank anywhere!

Thanks

Or you can do something like this for a lot less......

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=1011354#post1011354

Thanks for the detailed info. If I went with a 10 gallon cell, would I save any weight after all the fab work? Not having to replace all the hoses and deleting the evap tank is very appealing to me, not to mention the sump for FI. I can't seem to find a baffled Z tank anywhere!

Thanks

You don't really save any weight replacing the stock 240Z fuel tank. A SCCA/FIA fuel cell with the ballistic bladder, can, etc. weighs about 10 lbs. more then the stock S30 tank. Add in the appropriate framework and cover and you're probably 20 lbs. over.

• 2 months later...