HybridZ

N/A Clutch with Turbo Motor

DuoWing

Hey guys I'll be swapping my L28ET into my 76' 280Z soon. The 76 has an early 5-speed in it. My L28ET is coming from an auto car. I was doing some searching and it sounds like there really aren't any good 225mm sized clutches that hold up well if you start running higher boost? I was hoping I could get away with buying a performance 225mm clutch, but it seems like I should get the 240mm flywheel and a 240mm clutch then?

Any suggestions?

I would say do some more searching. I think there are several guys running the 225 setup on high hp motors, even turbo'd. The pressure plate is smaller in diameter even if the flywheel is the same, so there is less moment of inertia which gives you more power to the wheels.

Check out: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=147117

Alright I read through that thread. It seems like the 225 doesn't matter so much, but it seems more like the clutch. Anyway I hope I did this right. I went with an Aluminum 10.5 lb FIdanza Flywheel. I'm taking your guys advice and just do this while it's out. Since I'm planning for power anyway.

I got the Fidanza Flywheel part number: 143281

Now I guess the only thing I don't know is what clutch to get. I did some more searching and I saw that with this flywheel the 225mm pressure plate bolts up fine, but the 240mm pressure plate is slightly off, but people say you're fine with just 6 bolts. So can anyone direct me to what I'm looking at for clutch? I keep seeing ACT clutches come up alot, but I've thought I've always heard good stuff about Centerforce.

I personally use Clutch specialties in CA. He can build you pretty much any clutch you need at a very competitive price. So if there are very few options from the companies you are looking at, try them out. Good quality stuff at good prices.

Im actually doing the Same thing this weekend. So can I not use the 225mm Flywheel from my Stock N/A 280zx and Clutch and put it in my 280ZXT or are you guys saying you can run the 240mm Flywheel with a 225mm Clutch?

Cause I was thinking later id just get a Super Stiff Ass ACT 225mm Clutch Kit with the 225mm Fidanza flywheel aluminum and that should take the HP shouldnt it? Im only gonna run Max 350hp in future as Im prolly only about 230hp Now at about 10PSI Boost I would imagine.... Cause I still need to install my FMIC Up the boost to about 13psi and Get Larger Injectors

Both flywheels are essentially the same.

The turbo (240mm) has a bigger "patch" in order to accommidate the larger clutch.

I know some issues are still being "resolved" in this aspect, however, the larger friction area will have more longevity due to....well think of your breaks.

Imagine tying to just have those smaller, why bother.

BTW, think about not having a sprung disk.

Use the 240mm. it is not the hp but the torque that is the problem.

A mild 240mm clutch will typically hold more torque than a race 225mm clutch.

go to nipponpower.com

then go to the clutch section, check out the SPEC clutches. a stage 1 240mm clutch holds more torque than a stage 3 225mm clutch. and the 240mm stage 1 or 2 drives like a stock clutch and the 225 stage 3 is a pain to drive on the street.

I've seen pictures and the contact area between the 225mm and 240mm flywheels is almost the same and interchangeable.

Ummm, no.

There is a groove cut in the wheel. You can run a 225 on a 240, but why? You can't the other way around.

Alright, well I did some searching through this and ended up going with an ACT 240mm Street Performance Clutch and a Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel.

Anyway I came through the searching across an issue relating to the flywheel bolts I think it was? Something about the stock flywheel bolts are too long or something, so you need different bolts, but no one seemed to be able to find the correct size and you needed to get slightly longer bolts and cut them down?

Good choice you'll like the grip and better throttle respone! You will have to let us know, however after reading again, the turbo and clutch will be new for you?

Don't quote me, but I think the stock bolts are to long for that "thiner" flywheel?

Just measure the old flywheel and the new one to see the differnce.

The turbo won't be different, but my 280ZXT was always an automatic. I've never actually driven an L28ET with a 5-speed. So it should be a huge change especially since I'm going from a stock turbo automatic running only at 10 psi with a boost leak to a 5-speed with light weight flywheel, 2.5" downpipe to 3" exhaust, no cat, in a lighter 280Z, etc.

• 3 weeks later...