HybridZ

How to check Differential and Transmission mount

Dayz

Guys,

I am at a little loss. My full resto will soon be on the road..after I figure this problem out.

I hear a clunk from the trans tunnel towards the rear, when I back up. When I move forward, it doesn't seem to appear. I have checked all the u-joints, moving well or new. For the new one (from Black Dragon), it has a side to side play, as if the circlip weren't thick enough but moving fine without play in the other direction. Hope it makes sense.

How do I check my mount which I should suspect at this point.

Thanks

Dayz

New mustache bar bushing, energy suspension ones. All the bushings on the car are new, strap seems still tight, wheel bearings are new, diff is rebuilt.

Any other ideas are welcome...it is a series 1 by the way, maybe the axle angle have something to do with this.

Thanks

Dayz

You are saying spider gear would cause that? I feel it in reverse and really slowly in forward...

I will still suspect my mounts before the diff...how do I check them? I want to make sure they are all right before buying new ones.

Thanks

Dayz

What do you mean "really slowly in forward"? Is it a repetitave clunk-clunk-clunk, or just from a stop a single clunk? There is a bar that carries two of the spider gears and it tends to wear an oval shaped hole on its own mount inside the diff. That is usually the first thing to go on these diffs.

If you are seriously suspecting the mounts do this.

Notice!!! Do this VERY carefully!!!

Jack up the rear of the car and place blocks in front of the front tires. Used jack stands!! Now pull the parking brake back as far as you can. Get someone to place the car in gear while running and gently release the clutch applying power to the drivetrain in both forward and reverse. While they do this Look at the mounts and look for movement that would be out of the norm.

Good luck and dont die!! Be carefull!!

Repetitive clunk...not a single one. I would assume Spider gear would be a single one...Am I right? I meant that the clunks happens when reversing>faster = louder/more repetitive clunks, and forward = only when going very slowly. At speed, I don't hear anything.

Thanks guys...yes the running car on Jackstand is a good idea, I just hate doing that, after hearing a couple of horror stories!!

Thanks

Dayz

The bar that runs through the spider gears can also hit slide out and hit the pinion when it it worn out enough. It will do kinda the same thing. I would just drop the diff at this point. A repetative "clunk" should not be a mount. Pull it out and see what is going on. Will it make the sound while jacked up engine running and wheels spinnning with no load?

Finally had time to get under that car. The clunking noise I was hearing was coming from a mix of slight brake misalignment and diff...but the things still vibrates as hell. I put it in 4, blocked one wheel, and it seems the spider gears aren't turning smoothly. I guess that would be a good test. The whole car vibrates. (this is testing it on 4 jackstands).

I started a new thread, about how to check spider gears.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=1019632#post1019632

Thanks for your help guys...I need more from the diff gurus,

Dayz