HybridZ

shifter bushings

yakimaz

Factory shifter bushings can be found on ebay. I strongly suggest upgrading to brass bushings, those can be found at autozone, or any place with the HELP! line. Search "brass shifter bushing"

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=122484&highlight=brass+shifter+bushing

I have the brass shifter bushings and I like them, they are very solid and do not have the longevity issues that the stock ones do.

Hope that helps

FWIW, I wasn't able to find the Help! Chrysler hinge kit here in Anchorage so I went to Home Depot to see what else would work.

Turns out a 1/2 to 1/2 brass hose connector works perfectly when you cut one side off and file a little off the center piece. Sorry I don't have a photo. I'll see if I can't post one later. Cost was about $3.

Edit: Looks like this -

Fitting.jpg

As happens all too often, reading a thread inspired me to check my Z this morning. What a series of surprises. The inner rubber shift lever boot was missing, the shift lever pivot pin had been replaced with a pin that is threaded on the end and secured with a nut, the pin bushings were totally gone, and the bushing at the end of the shift lever was also missing.

First stop - my local neighborhood Datsun Dealers's parts department, open on Saturdays. For some reason, they've replaced the Datsun sign out front with a Nissan one.

The inner shift lever boot was in stock as was the bushing that snaps onto the end of the shift lever. I don't know who was more surprised, the guy behind the counter or me. The pin bushings are listed, but not in stock. He'll check nationwide on Monday. If they're NLA, I'll go with the brass Chrysler door bushings.

The big lesson learned is that the parts guy is willing to hunt down parts for my old Z. The other lesson learned is that not all of the mechanics I've taken my Z to since 1971 have bothered to to the job right. Discovering missing pieces and cobbled fixes, even in out of sight places, is disappointing.

Dennis

Update: The Nissan dealership parts department was able to get the pin bushings in just two days. I put everything back together this morning and it shifts like new. I should have done this about 25 years ago. Total cost for all parts: $17.66

Dennis

X64v, MSA is a great source and I buy just about everything from them. Unfortunately, they're an hour and 45 minute drive away and the Nissan dealer was only 5 minutes away. Surprisingly, Nissan was less expensive and no shipping fee. I'm still amazed that they had the shift lever end bushing and the inner boot in stock when I went there last Saturday.

Anyway, all's well that ends well and I'm about to take the Z for a run before the temp hits 110 degrees here today. Shifting no longer feels like stirring a big bowl of oatmeal with a wooden spoon.

Dennis