HybridZ

Junkyard radiator for n/a 280ZX

I tried several search methods(searchword combinations like "radiator swap etc..) and came up nil. So here goes. I want to find a junkyard application for my 280, she's runnin' a little hot these days. I have seen several direct bolt on parts from misc. vehicles to the 280, like TB's and ECU swaps etc. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on a radiator(maybe a little more able to cope with our cars high heat situation). All input will be appreciated. This is a stock 1979 280ZX 2.8L/5 speed manual.

Jason

I'm not sure wether you mean richening my fuel/air mix or not but the car is running great as it sits andI think that a radiator is the answer.Or did you mean my coolant/water mix? Some have told me to add more water. I'm not sure which is the best. I tried that "Water Wetter" didn't change a thing. I've replaced the Water Pump, thermostat, cylinderhead temp switch, radiator hoses, thermo housing, and heater core valve. Lety me know which you mean and why you think it will cool the car down. I am curious to learn more when it comes to these cars. Thanks for the input.

Jason

Yeah, I thought so too. My only guess is that it seems to me that this car is extremely susceptible to the daily heat an coolness. I have noticed extreme variations on the temp guage through the seasons. I did the Thermostat and it was fine for winter driving, but as soon as it got warmer and I got into traffic it gets seriously hot like 220 plus. So any temp outside above 55 and sufficient traffic and I have a recipe for some nice melted L28 soup. How do I manipulate the AFM?? You said a coupla ticks...Please elaborate and thanks again for your help and patience in explaining all of this tuff to me.

Jason

Have you thought of just taking out your stock radiator and measuring the max size you can fit in there. Also get what you would think would be the min size you'd want.

Just get an aluminum radiator with the upper and lower hose connections in approximately the same area and bolt it in with just a couple holes drilled.

Maxima might do the trick. You may need to switch to an electric fan since your fan shroud may no longer work.

I'm sure that would work, and I have thought of it. I was just wondering if there was a simple replacement that some of you guys may have of heard of. I'm kind of holding out for a good direct swap, but if I come up dry here, yeah I'll just shoot it up with a tape measure and see what is out there @ the local pick and pull. I like that profile avatar BTW;)

Jason

Well I went down to the pick and pull today and lo-and behold there was an 83 n/a car there. I snagged the Radiator out of it and discovered it also is sporting a header and a clean nose clip...I like those nose clips! I'll prolly head back later and grab the rest WOOOHOOO!! I hope this radiator cures my ailment. It looks to be in alot better shape than my current equipment.. I'll post tomorrow with an update thanks again guys.

Jason

It's just that if everything was working normally, you would not be having such a problem.

Good job on the rad, considered replacing water pump, since it will be more avalible?

What temp themostate you running?, did you put it in water and heat it up to see if it is opening?

Well I went down to the pick and pull today and lo-and behold there was an 83 n/a car there. I snagged the Radiator out of it and discovered it also is sporting a header and a clean nose clip...I like those nose clips! I'll prolly head back later and grab the rest WOOOHOOO!! I hope this radiator cures my ailment. It looks to be in alot better shape than my current equipment.. I'll post tomorrow with an update thanks again guys.

Jason

Wouldn't hurt to have that thing cleaned. a quarter century of water deposits will effect it's performance. My stock 83 has never surpassed halfway on the temp guage.

Hi all. I said before that I replaced the waterpump and I cant remember the Thermo temp. I think it was like 195... Anyhow I bought some generic flush from Shucks and I ran the car pretty hard for about 15-20 minutes then left it on the road in front of my house idling for about 20 minutes. It never passed halfway on the guage and I'll replace the flush stuff with 50/50 coolant in three days.Thanks for all the input.

Jason