HybridZ

I Need Help With Throttle Position Sensor

Mayolives

I needed to replace my worn throttle body and used an 80mm piece used on RB26DETT engines. All went well with having an adapter fabricated and welded to my intake, installing the new Lokar cable and completing the plumbing. I'm using a "D" type, Bosch style throttle position sensor that was supplied with my Electromotive Tech3r system. Due to the new throttle body opening clockwise, and the old one (from a BMW) opening counter clockwise, my TPS is backwards on the throttle plate shaft, rendering it useless. I tried to open up the TPS to see it could be reversed, internally, but only managed to destroy a perfectly good, $100.00 sensor. Certainly there must be a way to work this out but at present I'm brain dead and stumped. What can I do? As usual, I'm down to the wire doing eleventh hour work because I'm scheduled to run with NASA next weekend at Carolina Motorsports Park.

I now have two solutions to the backwards working throttle position sensor problem. I had decided on doing the first one but then talked with my Electromotive guy who suggested the second one. I sure am lucky to have friends who know more the I do.

1. Use a Dremel tool to cut a "D" shaped hole through the back side of the tps and mount it on the opposite side from which it was intended.

2. Reverse the wiring by exchanging the positions of the 5 volt and the ground wires. The other wire is for the output signal.

I ran into the same direction problems with my cast ITB manifold. First I used a Haltech sensor with a D shaft that went all the way through the switch. It was a total piece of crap. It wouldn't return to "0" consistently. Then I bought one from a Chrysler but I don't think the resoloution is fine enough for Megasquirt. Please post how you make out with this as I'm going to have to make a change at some point.

Thanks

Derek

Derek,

I reversed the 5 volt and the ground wires for the TPS and all is well.

Here is a picture of the new throttle body.

HPIM1191.jpg

JT1,

Looks like I'll make it to CMP. The new side exhaust exit, in front of the pass. rear tire, has only three inches of clearance. Roddy at SDI made the piece for me. We came off the straight 3" in front of the diff with a 3" round leading into a flat section 1.5" x 6" to the frame rail. I'm a bit concerned about getting on and off the trailer.

HPIM1200-1.jpg

Maybe I'm nuts but couldn't you just have spun the throttle around 180 degrees as it mounted on the intake manifold and continue to have the throttle cable pull from underneath?

Butterflies only open one way.

Yes, I suspect it could have been don that way, but it would have involved fabricating another way to attach the Lokar cable system on the other side of the intake. I always like taking the path of least resistance if it produces a good result.

z64v.........Your Quote....."Butterflies only open one way."

Not to be argumentative, but what the hell. I beg to differ with your broad statement. My old BMW throttle body open opposite of the new Nissan piece.

No, he's saying that any one PARTICULAR throttle body only opens one way. You cannot turn it the opposite direction and get it to open; such as my solution evidently would require. :shock: