HybridZ

LS1 1971 240Z...fuel system question..

Not sure on what to do for the fuel system setup. Should i go with a fuel cell, or is there a way to retain the 240z tank?

I plan on using the Corvette regulator/filter, do I mount it near the tank or in the engine bay?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jay

So I can use the stock Datsun return line, and I would just have to make a new fuel line from the 5/16" end of the Corvette regulator, all the way to the fuel rail?

Could I also use the stock Datsun fuel feed line from the tank as well? Why would I have to add a seperate sump?

Thanks

Jay

So I can use the stock Datsun return line, and I would just have to make a new fuel line from the 5/16" end of the Corvette regulator, all the way to the fuel rail?

Could I also use the stock Datsun fuel feed line from the tank as well? Why would I have to add a seperate sump?

Thanks

Jay

a weld on sump should have -AN fittings on there for feed/ return lines.

check it out on summitracing.com

Yeah i saw the CE sump on Summit, around 70 bucks. There are 2 models available, one has 3/8" fittings and the other is 1/2". Since the stock Corvette line is only 5/16" i think the 3/8" would be more than adequate.

So being two connections on the sump...one is for the fuel feed to the pump, and the other would be the return from the regulator?

I have already purchased the Walbro 255 in-line pump, and the Corvette regulator/filter. If I go the sump route, then all i would need to purchase would be:

- fuel tank sump kit

- roll of 3/8" fuel line

- assorted fittings

What about venting the fuel tank?

Thanks so much guys, great help!

I used the stock late model Camaro plastic tank with internal pump, regulator, vent, etc. Very easy to make fit and probably the least expensive method.

Cameron

Heavy85: What year Camaro did you use the plastic tank from? Please advise. Thanks.

I used the stock late model Camaro plastic tank with internal pump, regulator, vent, etc. Very easy to make fit and probably the least expensive method.

Cameron

I also went this route. Best way to go. But you will have to sacrifice your spare wheel well.

i put a bowl in bottom of tank and fitted walboro internal pump dont have to put up with pump whine that way fitted pressure reg down back on front of tank return line straight from reg to tank same way gto have it that way only need single line to engine

mick

I don't want to remove the spare tire well, or I just would have went with a fuel cell. I think I am going to go this route:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=119761

Not too much money, and the tank will fit like stock cause it is! For the cost, its right in line with installing a cheesy Summit fuel cell, and since I already have the Walbro pump and Corvette filter/regulator, this is all i need.

This is actually a good deal for this amount of work, I called a local shop, and they quoted me over $800 Canadian Dollars ($625 USD) for the same work.

Just shot him an email about a rough estimate on the work, waiting to see if I get a reply.

i did tank myself cut hole in top and then fitted fuel bowl from injected daewoo

cut top out of daewoo tank as well and welded that into top of z tank made mount for walboro internal tank using pump mount from daewoo tank along with pipe inlets and outlets

then got local shop to check for leaks cost $50 for daewoo tank and $50 to seal leaks

mick

The Daewoo tank is out of the question, since I do not own a welder of my own, and would have to pay someone to do the work.

I am going to go with the Moyers treatment as posted above. I talked to the guy from that post, who had sent his tank out, and he said it worked excellent.

He had no fuel starvation issues, even in tough autocross applications.

Think of it this way....why would I cheap out now....I mean, I've already spent the money on the LS1/T56, mounts, rad, headers, wiring harness, ECM, suspension, fuel pump, regulator, filter, etc.

Whats another $350 when you're already in it for at least $5k? LOL

Jay

If anyone is interested in getting this done to their tank, there is actually more places than Moyers who performs this service.

Here is a link to the website:

http://www.gastankrenu.com/loc-dealer.htm

And a link to an inexpensive sump:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200334166156&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

Also, for anyone using the Corvette regulator/filter, and the external pump, what did you end up using for a filter before the pump?

Not sure on what to do for the fuel system setup. Should i go with a fuel cell, or is there a way to retain the 240z tank?

I plan on using the Corvette regulator/filter, do I mount it near the tank or in the engine bay?

Though this thread has been going for a while, I'd like to point out that there are a number of solutions that don't involve removing or modifying the stock tank at all, many of which are outlined in the Fuel Delivery forum. My personal favorite is a surge tank setup, which has some significant advantages including relatively low cost, ease of installation, and reversibility.

Strotter, you must be reading my mind!

I didn't want to threadjack, but to add another option (via question) for consideration.

So, I've been considering a surge tank for a FI motor swap into a 240z. Primary uses would be street and autox. I figure that a 1qt surge tank (and 1/4 tank of fuel) would be able to feed most motors.

Question- would starvation of the low pressure pump cause damage to it?

Question- would starvation of the low pressure pump cause damage to it?

Not threadjacking, indeed, I'll just concisely say that a few seconds dry won't damage any decent-quality pump. Extended dry-time, yes, moments no.

Found another post about options for fuel delivery:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103464&page=2

Still wondering what to use as a pre-pump filter? I've read that I should use a coarse filter (~100 microns) as to not make the pump work any harder than it has to. I was planning on using a GM filter, like the 82-up popular one, with the NPT lines on each side, but then i found out that it is a 10 micron filter.

Any recommendations on a filter?