HybridZ

Loose Lowering Springs???

I bought another 280zx a couple of weeks ago. It had been lowered and by lowered I mean just plain slammed. On the ride home I scrapped and bottomed out more times than I can count. Got home and jacked the car up to find that the springs were totally loose. They were nearly falling off of the struts. The springs are from tokico and they have the accompanying blue shocks. I have never heard of this before.

The springs do not look to have been heated and compressed, and they were not cut.

I asked someone at an auto shop and they said that it must not have the right shocks. He said that lowerd cars require special shocks?

Can anyone help me out here? Do I need special shocks? Are the springs fried? Ever heard of this before?

I will add a video to show you all exactly what I am talking about later this weekend.

Thanks everyone!

I dirlled holes in the upper and lower spring perches at three places around the circle. Then I wire-tied the springs into place so they can't rattle out. My car is only lowered 1" and does not scrape the bottom unless I high-side it on something.

I wanted to make a funny about weight lose, but seemed dumb;)

Funny I came across this thread today, earlier this morning I was thinking of this same thing when I got up.

I thought about what tack welding the springs in place, then thought, your car may become airborne more easily.

So what would be worse, getting all four corners off the ground, or, "bouncing" back onto the springs?

Out on a freeway at high speeds, ie Montana with somewhat unlimited speed limits (a few years back), I can tell you a dip in the road can tax the full range of movement on suspension. (stock aerodynamics ZX)

I'm not saying right or wrong, just curious.

• 4 months later...