HybridZ

Respraying 1 area of a freshly painted car

Sideways

Hopefully someone can chime in with some experience on this. I painted my car recently (you can find the thread down below) and noticed a a problem. I have the rough idea of how to fix it, but lack the details for how to do it properly.

The rear 1/4 panel on the passenger side down by the bottom zebra striped a bit, its nothing huge and can only be seen in direct sunlight (which is why i never noticed until now), but either way Id like to fix it. Obviously I need to respray the area somehow- Im just not entirely sure how. And then the question of blending it back with the rest of the paint comes to mind. I have a good amount of left over paint from primer to clear, so thats not an issue- I just need to know the steps. Can anyone lend some advice?

Since it was recently painted, I would sand through the clear until you hit color. Sand out an area ~2 inches or so larger than the tiger stripe. Shoot your color, shoot clear over the top. Wet sand the new clear and some of the old area and buff it out. This is how I would go about it, I will be attempting this on a fender I'm repairing for a friend. If you like you can hold out until I'm done this weekend, I can post my results.

I wouldnt go any coarser than 400 wet or dry for any of this, and always 1500 on your final clear sand. Metallics will be extremely difficult to repair this way, theyre already hard enough to paint, lol.

Just sand the entire rear clip with 1000 grit nothing coarser. Do not sand through the clear !!!! You will need to reclear the entire rear clip since there is no sharp edge to stop at. Apply basecoat over the affected areas tapering out into the panel and reclear. Be careful with the application of your clear. Getting the first coat too wet or not letting the basecoat flash off correctly can result in mottling of the base. Is this a silver color ?

What you need to do is tape off the panel from the rest of the car. Wetsand the entire panel with 1500 grit. Paint the area affected (with basecoat) and dust it out past the area where it is tiger striped. After that, reclear the entire panel.

Alternatively, for a better finish, do the same thing but rebase the entire panel instead of just the affected area.

If the basecoat is modeled then just simply scuff the surface wich you wish repair....lower quarter....with a grey 3M pad or red wich is a little coarser and clean it and dust color over the modeled area and you might have to clear the whole quarter and use clear coat blender on the pillar unless you wanna spot the thing in right in the middle of the quarter.

• 2 weeks later...

i would like to correct a couple of things that have been said in here if i could. since you repainted the whole car and you still have some color left, you dont need to worry about their being a color mismatch. also in regards to sanding it down tightywhitey185 is correct in using a grey 3m scotch brite pad. using 1000 or 1500 is to low a grit to let the paint adhere properly over top of the clear.

In regards to the color, you want to start by a small patch over the tiger striped area and feather it out from there over 2-3 coats for coverage. you want a light-medium coat. finally clear, i would do as tighty suggests and clear the whole quarter and use a blender to finish the sail panel. SHerwin williams automotive finishes has a blending solvent in a spray can which make things very easy, its called BS10, any sherwin auto store should have it. Hope this helps.