HybridZ

350Z SR20DET Drift Car buildup :)

SR240Z

Well we were extremely happy with the way our 240z handled and reacted to the power when we put the engine behind the front crossmember so that is why we decided to go ahead and throw the motor into this build.

Update coming in a little bit, we finished the center dash panel with carbon :)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are trying to have continuous updates and progress on the car while still working on customer cars during the day. These past two days I have been doing routine service and prepping cars for swaps while my dad started to work on the dash center panel.

He found some carbon sheet lying around the shop and got to fitting it into where the old navigation and Bose stereo used to be. The gauges fitted into the pod are temporary for fitment purposes only.

Check it out:

img_1265-225x300.jpg

http://www.AlexVillabrille.com

If you go to the blog page you can click on all the pictures to view them in full size.

Carbon? To cover the area where I took the radio out of my car I just got the think cardboard found on the backings of drawing pads, cut it to shape, spray painted it black, screwed in over the opening and nobody is ever the wiser. lol. They never realize its just cardboard until I knock on it.

I love how the car is turning out so far. I've never got to see a VQ in person but I was thinking the VQ would be shorter since it would only be like 3 cylinders long instead of like the SR being 4 cylinders long. Was I wrong?

You're not wrong but with the way that they designed the intake manifold we would have had to go off and make a custom intake manifold in order to set the engine further back against the firewall like we did with the SR.

Plus the cost of building the VQ and force inducting it as well.

Yeah, that makes sense. I forgot how the intake was designed. I agree with the cost of building and turboing it would be outrageously high. Even if the prices for the parts were the same as for the SR, it would still be buying 6 connecting rods instead of 4, 6 pistons instead of 4, 6 injectors instead of 4.

But I also like displacement. I want to have a turbo VQ35 powered something (no idea what) one day. I'm not focusing on that though, all my brain power and man-power is going into my Z. lol. Thats not the only engine either. I want to do something with a SR, a CA, and a KA. I love all of them. I'd also like to build a LSX, RB, 13B, and see how much power I can get out of one of those big ol' deisels. I also want to have a AWD car one day, either a custom creation or an EVO. I actually have quite a few custom creation ideas drawn up, but I'm not doing anything towards them until after I have my Z the way I want it.

Chet at Galek Motorsports came through with the ETB Instruments DigiDash 2 Lite. It finally arrived today after such a long time in deciding what we were going to do with the central gauge setup.

We will have it installed and wired as soon as the rest of the sensors come in the mail and get some new lit up pictures! Dont forget that if you go to the blog page you can view the pictures in full size when you click on them.

img_1325-300x225.jpg

http://www.AlexVillabrille.com

I love the idea mainly for the weight factor. Having less weight on the front end will give it more natural oversteer, or lessen understeer depending on the car, in the corner. That's why I'm shooting for a 45/55 F/R on my car.

i thought it was the opposite. please correct me if im wrong but i thought more weight up front would increase oversteer since weight is transferred to the front during braking and therefore unloading the rear suspension causing oversteer.

i thought it was the opposite. please correct me if im wrong but i thought more weight up front would increase oversteer since weight is transferred to the front during braking and therefore unloading the rear suspension causing oversteer.

All you have to do is look at the cars really. A Porsche 911 is a rear engine (most weight in the rear) and it's notorious for oversteering too much. Then you can look at the old American muscle cars, they're really front heavy because of the all iron V8s and they understeer. Of course its about how you tune the suspension too.

• 3 months later...

I know I haven’t lived up to my word in supplying updates for this build but we have been hard at work trust me! UPDATED!!!!!!!!!!!

The entire blog post can be viewed at http://www.alexvillabrille.com

Here is a preview:

“…KA24 510 tuned but ended up blowing the motor due to tuner error :/ We brought the car back, pulled the KA24 and swapped in an SR20det instead…â€

img_0161-300x225.jpgimg_0166-300x225.jpg

“…new brakes for the 350z track car (Wilwood 6-piston front and 4-piston rear), new front windshield installed, as well as painting the roof…â€

img_0168-300x225.jpg

Sweet I had never thought there were two sets of calipers in the rear, but always wondered how they balance the foot brake to gas movement now I know they use their hands instead of a pedal!!!!

Spent about 30 min reading the "Drifting" wiki it was a very interesting read. I have watched a few races and now have some insight.

• 1 month later...

Well the man behind my blog site is Joey Todaro who has been a friend of mine since we were in high school. He does all the graphic design, logo work, and upkeep with the blog as far as the look and function of it.

I made a new post about his site http://www.jdmftw.com on my blog which you can check out the full post at: http://www.drftmytail.com

Aside from basically completely tearing apart the 240z we now want to re-do some things for better selection of wheels and aftermarket parts so we are swapping to mostly all S13 suspension/brake setup.

The 350z I am waiting on my FRP body parts to get here.... Please read the entire post I just put up on http://www.drftmytail.com

Thanks for all your support and thanks to Gruppe-S/Dynamic Autosports!