HybridZ

BOV Question.

I have purchased a used bov off of an 180sx for my zxt from japan on ebay and was wondering how do i set it up after installation? I guess what I am asking in particular is what kind of and where to tie the vaccume into? This is a blitz super sound bov, and do i need to do any adjusting to the bov itself?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. :redface:

Get the vacuum signal from anywhere in the manifold (anywhere after the throttle body). If you can run a filter on it (or plumb it recirculating) then adjust it so it's a bit open at idle. If not, adjust it so it just stays closed at idle/cruise.

Edit: You don't say what ECU you're running. If it's anything that has an AFM or MAF, you need to plumb the vented air back in before the turbo (but after the AFM/MAF) so the ECU knows how much air the engine is actually using.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I just installed a cheap ebay BOV went well... But every time i get on it and really use it the car will die between shifts, way to rich. we put these things on our cars to make them faster not kill between shifts and slow us down... doing reserch to see my options and seen this. Plus i need the posts...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=148957

The options are to vent it properly between the AFM and the Intake Valves as you are metering air that you are dumping overboard for the ricer rush sound, without that air in the intake, (as like the stock setup that pushes it past the throttle plate into #4 intake runner keeping everything from going rich) you have more fuel from the computer based on the AFM being wide open, and the RPMs being higher... You just can't dump it. Many will argue on stock turbos, there is absolutely no good reason to waste money on the aftermarket crap---especially if you haven't gotten added piping volume to relieve. Even then, I've seen multiple stock BOV's added to intakes to take care of that, and the engine is silent on shifts! No attention getting ricer "poofta" noise!

ya i do know the logic on it, I did go with 2.5" tubing routed around with no IC as of yet but everything is there for it. it bothers me how you say runner #4 as when the little bit of air passes the throtle plate, it would go everywhere not just #4 or that one would be dead lean and the rest rich. I was hoping for the fuel cut off on these to help me out more but like i said it does not

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=148957

The options are to vent it properly between the AFM and the Intake Valves as you are metering air that you are dumping overboard for the ricer rush sound, without that air in the intake, (as like the stock setup that pushes it past the throttle plate into #4 intake runner keeping everything from going rich) you have more fuel from the computer based on the AFM being wide open, and the RPMs being higher... You just can't dump it. Many will argue on stock turbos, there is absolutely no good reason to waste money on the aftermarket crap---especially if you haven't gotten added piping volume to relieve. Even then, I've seen multiple stock BOV's added to intakes to take care of that, and the engine is silent on shifts! No attention getting ricer "poofta" noise!

Dude, the factory BOV is in runner #4, and with the throttle plate closed, there is no airflow into the cylinders EXCEPT what is coming through the BOV, and possibly an anti-stall feature from the AAC.

If it goes into #4, it's lean? I dont think so... THEY ALL ARE! On drop throttle under boost, fuel cut shuts off fuel to everything - so a bunch of air pumped into #4 only cools the cylinder. And given #4 is somewhat detonation prone, perhaps the Nissan Engineers know what they are doing...

I don't know why it 'bothers you'---think about it some more and you will be relieved to find the logic of what I state soothing.

Like they say, a little bit of knowledge is dangerous... The fuel cut is not what makes it go 'rich' your inability to reintroduce the air you blow externally on your aftermarket BOV gives a false-flow signal to the AFM. You have to dump it BETWEEN the AFM and the Turbo, or into the engine (like the stock BOV does) or you go pig rich on drop throttle.

"This has all been discussed before..."