HybridZ

Factory Ignition box on 260Z

I was gonna restate my problem but here's a link to the thread I started for it a couple months ago that died http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=146584 I figured asking here would be better since its the diagnostic thread. I'll be going back home June 20th to work on it and hopefully getting it running but I'll only have a week to be there so I would like to get anything I need beforehand so I dont have to wait for shipping or anything.

Oh yeah, my main concern is if my 260Z does have a factory ignition box. How could I test it? Could I just wire it out like I asked in the thread link I posted or would I be better off buying another one? Other than that I dont know anything else I could do besides making sure the coils I have are still good and the last things it could be would either a loose or broken connection at or in the ignition switch, or the distributor.

Sorry i havent been on in a while. The one i pulled looks like the one you linked to. I cut the plug off of my original ign box, and wired it into the new one, that way it utilized the stock plug. Even the 77 ignition box bolted in the same place on the firewall as the original.

I bought that ignition box from menzzer37 and June 20th I should be back in Arkansas to put it on and be able to update on the "no run" status of my car from there. What about the distributor though?

The previous owner said the L28 was from a 75' so I'm wondering if the distributors are different between 74' and 75' and whether they kept the 75' one on the L28 or put on the 74' one since they kept the carburetors from the 74' instead of the EFI.

I took off the cap and remember how the inside of it looked so if they are different and if someone can post pics of the differences I would greatly appreciate it. I got more questions, but I'm not gonna ask them now. I'm gonna search more on this site to see if I can find the answers.

Thats an interesting question. If im not mistaken, I dont think that the ecu controls spark or else the ignition box should'nt have worked on my car.

Ofcourse I dont have much know how on the subject beyond my ignition experiences.

I am curious if your box from a different model will work on your 260. I have just completed an upper end rebuild, rebuilt the carbs, new coil, plugs, wires and dizzy. I still have no spark. This Ignition box is hard to find. Does anyone else know of other suitable replacements available at local auto parts stores?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, this weekend I finally get to work on my Z again because I got a little over a week off from school. I got the new ignition box and I'm ready to start working. I just want to ask if you guys can give me other things to check, and how to check them, in case it still doesn't start with the new ignition box. I don't have a DVOM or anything, just a test light, I much prefer DVOMs but I can't afford one yet. Well thanks for the help thus far and wish me luck.

The 77 ignition box I got from menzzer37 looks so much different then the one on my car. Does this matter? Am I supposed to get a new connector on that part of the harness to fit in the new box? Can I test if the boxes are even good or bad before I try them? Here's the photos of the differences.

14855_thumb.attach

14856_thumb.attach

14857_thumb.attach

14858_thumb.attach