HybridZ

c-dawg's ZX

C-Dawg

hey everyone! i've been lurking for a while and decided to post a few pictures of my 1983 280ZX. it's N/A and completely stock.

it's very natural. meaning that it didn't get restored it or cleaned it up, it's just been well maintained and preserved.

now, i wanna do something with it. i'm not very mechanically inclined, but i love to drive. and i love to drive fast : )

i was thinking about doing an engine swap. i would really like to do an engine swap, BUT i know i would feel like all those years of preserving it would be wasted.

i also thought of taking it to Z shows and entering it into stock contests. do you think i would have a chance in winning an award?

what do you think i should do?

cliffside.jpg

DSC03291.jpg

DSC03306.jpg

DSC03312.jpg

DSC03299.jpg

DSC03297.jpg

zxforest.jpg

DSC03315.jpg

zxbeach.jpg

thanks!

C-Dawg

Hard to say .. apart from the fact you should keep this stock in my opinion.

Id say if you love driving it there is way without doing to much to the appearance but improving handling;

So you preserve the stock looks and the effort in keeping her where she is today.

-urethane bushings

-Tockiko illumina's

-Springs

-Steel brake lines

-Performance brake oil

-Porterfiled r4s pads and new disks

-Bigger sway bars

Then it is up to you if you go with bigger wheels. A lower tire will give more road feel.

I would leave the engine as it is.

That is one CLEAN ZX.

What you want to do with it is totally up to you. If it were me, I'd be thankful that it was preserved so well and that hopefully there won't be need for rust repair, engine repair, interior re-upholster etc and start the process of making it my own. Wheels, tint, stereo, springs, exhaust, and then maybe think about a turbo swap.

You can do all those things tastefully and not destroy the car but what you do with it is totally up to you. It's pretty sweet as is so you're already off to a great start :)

Beautiful car!

I thought mine was in pristine shape when I got her...

Now, this is HybridZ, it is a site dedicated to making these cars more powerful then stock. (drive train, suspension, aerodynamics, etc...)

I myself have only done what my pathetic budget will allow, but do your car a favor, make her sing!! There is tons you can do to improve on 26yrs old tech!

Wow…that is simply a beautiful car. Love it. As for car shows I don’t care much for them, other than shows like MSA where I can see other owners doing creative things to improve performance, drive ability, suspension, brakes etc…regular show’n’shine stuff does not float my boat.

To each his own though. You car is a perfect canvas for some awesome upgrades, I would start with a hot turbo engine..take your pick..SR20, L28ET, RB…and welcome to the slippery slope!

Yasin

thanks everyone!

yeah, i think i wanna keep it stock as much as possible. i was thinking of doing a major tune up (it hasn't gotten tuned up in a while) as well as updating the suspension. i WOULD like to make it faster without touching too much of the engine.

i was thinking of replacing the cat and exhaust as well. do you think that would be distasteful? i was feeling that a cold air or short-ram intake MIGHT be an eyesore, but i dunno.

thanks again, everyone! i'll be having some more questions soon : )

C-Dawg

that's a gorgeous car...I'll have to keep my eye out for it around the bay area ;)

I'd go with the suspension recommendations first - I'm in the middle of a polyurethane bushing install - my OEMs were shot....

Also, your car is newer than 1975, so doing an engine swap might be risky (smog laws). Your engine looks to be in good shape from the pics, and the ZX in its day was pretty fast out the factory door - it's a great package in stock form.

that's my 2 cents - keep it as stock as possible - that's my long term aim with mine since i can't do much to my engine due to CA smog rules :(

I'm not really a fan of S130 cars, but I like yours; especially since you're from SSF. I'd have to agree with everyone else and just keep your modifications somewhat modest. The CA smog laws are really too restrictive, so I'd say look towards pre-1975 Z's if you want to really get your hands dirty.

That is naturally another issue smog laws! is it your daily driver ? Or could you register it as historical?

Anyway if you like driving it Id stick some diffrent wheels ( panasport Wantanabe like ) Or even xxr!! with lower profile tires.

IMGP3592.JPG

or in your case 16x8

513GD8H581mini.jpg

($350 out the door on ebay, but i would advise longer wheel studs and maybe some 1" spacers)

This and the whole suspension package and you will note it will make handling a diffrence like night and day!!

-shocks

-springs

-bushings

-balljoints

-tie rods

-sway bars

-strut tower bars

If you really like wheeling it id say get an LSD. But since you are in CA you dont really get much rain i take ?

A cold air set up wont do anything peformance whise, so i would not worry to much

thanks guys! yeah, i'm gonna keep it stock. the engine runs great and the car is a joy to drive. it's not my daily driver, but i don't think i can register it as historical. i don't have any smog problems, but my ignition timing is a little off.

i think i'm going to do the exhaust as the old muffler and pipe is a little damaged. the only modification plans i have (for now) are for the suspension, exhaust, and maybe headers.

i'm gonna bring it in to zcargarage early june and have them look it over and maybe tune it up.

thanks again for all the advice! if you have any ideas for me, please shoot them over.

for the locals, i drive it 2 or 3 times a week, so if you see me, flag me down : )

thanks guys! yeah, i'm gonna keep it stock. the engine runs great and the car is a joy to drive. it's not my daily driver, but i don't think i can register it as historical.

I think you can once it is 25 years old. it just puts restrictions towards your use of the car. But from what i understand that is not to much of hassle.

Anyway keep us updated .. i love the s130's !!

oh frank, i wanted to ask you a question about the cold air intake.

i've heard that they don't do anything beneficial to the car and/or the engine. it makes sense that with a high(er) flow air filter in the stock air intake can produce very similar results. BUT, what about throttle body? would a bigger throttle body affect the performance? and if so, would the cold air + bigger throttle body produce better results than stock air intake + bigger throttle body?