HybridZ

One of my Firearm Toys.

1 fast z

Last Memorial Day weekend, we took some guns out shooting, while we were camping. I took My .50 Desert eagle, my .454 Casull Ruger, and my Model 99 Barrett CQ chambered in 50 BMG. As you can tell I like big guns. Fartherest I have shot this gun so far is 1350 yards, verified with my range finder. It is amazing on how accurate this gun is. I have a bull Elk tag this year that I will take this gun on. I installed a Mark 4 Leupold Illuminated scope on this gun. In these pictures we were shooting at fire extinguishers. I have shot across the hood of my trucks before, but this time, the first shot I broke the windsheild on my wifes 4RUnner! Good thing I have free glass coverage. This gun is a blast to shoot, I must say. Too bad it is so expensive to shoot. With buying loaded ammo, it is over 5.00 a shot. I reload my own ammo, which does help on the cost. This gun is the CQ model which is the lightest 50 barrett makes. It has a 25" barell and only weighs 21lbs. Light enough to carry on a sling. Anyways, though I would share some pics.

IMG_1369-600x450.jpg

IMG_1370-600x450.jpg

IMG_1372-600x450.jpg

Very nice. Those things are a blast. You can feel the heat from 20 feet away.

I have a rifle that I've had since I was 7 and I've never shot it. I went to buy some ammo and it was $30 for 20 rounds.

what kind of rifle/caliber? You can usually find ammo for way cheaper online compared to in stores.

Ferrariferg, if it's a Marlin lever action model 336 chambered in .35 REM, it does have quite a bit of push, great fun to shoot and mine is very accurate out to 100 yards, past that and the bullet drops badly, I've shot deer, wild hogs, and coyotes with mine when nothing else was handy, great little gun.

I just picked up a Browning Model 65 lever gun, chambered in .218 BEE, and WOW, it's a little lazer gun! I don't know for sure how fast that round is, but it's up there for sure. Rounds are not cheap though...

Very nice toy! A guy set up one of those things at the bench next to me last weekend at the range. He said he would let me know when he chambered a round. I'm glad he did, the blast from that thing is awesome! I don't mind getting peppered with .22 LR, .223, and .45 brass from next bench shooters, but the blast from that thing is unreal. He and his son shot it, kinda funny, his son got bit by the scope. Bloody eyebrow and all! The carnage at 100 yds was also awesome!

Brian, you plan on taking a bull elk with a .50 BMG??? now that would prolly be a waste of meat! Shooting through concrete walls? OK, ventilating engine blocks? sure! but taking a game animal that you plan on eating??? A hunting buddy shoots a .375 H&H, and it's too much gun IMO., I have taken a couple of big bulls and several smaller, and a single cow, all with a .300 win mag, out to about 400 yards.

I kind of wonder what kind of grief you'd get from a DOW officer for toting around a .50 BMG... I don't know as it's illegal, all the Colorado (where I grew up and still hunt Elk) DOW says is you must use a centerfire rifle in a .243 or larger bore, I'd guess that would certainly qualify for "larger"

I'd bet that after a hit from a round like that, the typical Elk would already be quartered! Maybe save you a step there...

No, Ive seen other friends of mine take elk with the 50BMG, if it is placed right, it is not that bad at all. It is also perfectly legal. There are some big bulls that you cannot sneak up on, and hide in some very far, remote places. If I have an open shot at 1200 yards, this is the gun I will use to shoot. It is mainly for distance. I took and 375 Holland and holland improoved three years ago, and it wasnt bad at all on the meat. Now if you it them in the bag legs or something, I am sure you can ruin alot of meat.

I can see maybe a military FMJ type ammo just slamming right through leaving a .50 hole, but I'd imagine the hydrostatic shock would be huge, with lots of wasted meat, heck, that round was developed to shoot down airplanes! seems like a little bit of "too much gun" but whatever floats your boat! It's your tag and I really didn't expect to be invited over to dinner anyway... :-P

However, I'd much rather see someone drop a big bull cleanly with a .50 BMG or .375 H&H than to see one limp off into the trees after a hit with a .243 or something similar, as that seems to happen way too much, Heck I've personally had to help track a bull with TWO 7mm mag slugs in him, in the dark, for 3 or 4 hours until we caught up with him, what a fun hunt that was.

Yea, all three of the ranges here have banned any 50BMG. Everyone kept complaining about the blast.

Are you kidding? Part of going to the range is NOISE! I love standing next to someone shooting a large caliber rifle.

My 3/1945 production date Garand is pretty nice too :)

I can see maybe a military FMJ type ammo just slamming right through leaving a .50 hole, but I'd imagine the hydrostatic shock would be huge, with lots of wasted meat, heck, that round was developed to shoot down airplanes!

I've seen an F15 20MM Boresight Accident, pretty much vaporized the guy from the solar plexus on up, arms were 25 feet from the ladder in each direction.

For an Elk...50BMG in FMJ should punch clean on through and if you're aiming slightly back, through the lungs, you don't waste anything really good. Probably wouldn't have to gut much, either... Instead of punching through the shoulder blade and wasting good meat, the caliber lets you take it a bit further back where the only thing damaged would be ribs. I'm not big on ribs, so that's what I'd do.

Makes my little .300 win mag look like a midget! I'm going tomorrow to look at a DPMS panther in .308 that a friend of a friend has for sale, I already have an RRA AR-15 in 5.56, and it's a good little gun, although I'd think the .308 would be a little better on 200+ pound wild hogs that I run across occasionally.

Rifles are a lot of fun, but don't get me started on Shotguns, that's where my real firearms passion is...

I've never gotten into shotties. just got the single barrel 12G hammer gun (H&R Topper model) as a pest and vermin removal tool. whats the point in filling the meat with hard bits when decapitation with a rifle while they sit around is far neater and faster, and ruins less meat.

I hunt for food and shoot for sport. I don't hunt for sport.