HybridZ

Need HBZ input fast: donor ls1 camaro opinions!

auxilary

OK, long story short, I'm abandoning the rotary Z and going LS1. Local guy here is selling an LS1 2002 camaro, salvage title. motor has 26k miles.

It's definitely not pretty to look at, yesterday I drove it and it felt slow for an LS1 (but was also throwing MAF low volume error code, and p1/p2 banks leaning out). Most likely MAF was damaged in the accident (and it's visible in auction photos I found of the car (frame was severely damaged, upon impact the battery exploded and engine bay was covered in acid. Engine itself isn't very pretty to look at (think dirt and acid etching on aluminum and plastic).

Otherwise the engine ran quite good, no stumbles, steady 800rpm at idle. Shifted smoothly through all 6 gears, even the skip shift crap was working. It's bone stock

Guy wanted 5,800 for it, I talked him down to 5k. Do you guys think it's a decent deal to buy, yank out drive train/fuel tank, part it out, and junk it, for about $5,000? Given the MAF and sensor replacement, I think I can knock off another $300 or so. Need to give an answer today, let me know your thoughts!

For reference, local salvage yard here (gmsportssalvage) sells LS1/t56 sets for 4,500 with 30 day warranty.

I wish you had some pics of the car. Leather int, wheels damaged, SS model, cd changer? Honestly if you plan to part it out and get atleast a thousand back or so I woiuld say it is a fair deal if you can get another 300 or more knocked off for the damage. If you want to recover at least $2500 then the price of the car is high. With frame damage, be sure to check rear end and tail of trans.

5244503_1_I.jpeg

5244503_3_I.jpeg

5244503_6_I.jpeg

5244503_10_I.jpeg

obviously, a bit more cleaner now. In the last pic, you can see the whole front end shifted and the MAF/intake are 6" out of alignment. This is from 2 months ago from the auction, obviously, and the engine bay is a lot cleaner now. The front end was cut and welded up at rad support/rails.

My looked just like yours

IMG_1214.jpg

I paid $6200 it had 34k miles on it. I was able to get ALL the money back in 6 months! Mine had leather interior and the top of the line monsoon speakers and radio. You should be able to get a decent chunge of change back from the car.

He said he paid $6200.

I bought a 2001 WS6 TA for $4500 and it was in worse shape, it had the monsoon speakers leather etc and I was able to part it out in about a month. Made about $3000 back. Even cut up the rest of the body and got $75 for the scrap metal. I say do it.

As long as you have the space, a garage and some yard space, and a little time, two to three months, I'd say it would be hard to lose on that deal.

Selling Camaro parts has to be much easier, and more profitable, than selling Z parts. Just my guess.;)