HybridZ

Thought to be a leaking (NEW) windshield, but..

Hey everyone. I have a '79 280zx. I got a new windshield a couple weeks ago, and to my dismay, found out that water was STILL leaking into my car. I thought that it was coming from the windshield so I took my ZX back to the shop where I had the windshield replaced. They notified me that the windshield is NOT the actual problem! On the right hand side of the car, where the water can get in to naturally drain down next to the door, there is a spot that is no longer welded together.. It is at the top right, above the windshield. I have two options, seal it, or get it re-welded. I do not have the funds to take it to a body shop, or the proper tools to re-weld this tiny area without damaging the brand new windshield (The welding materials my boyfriend and I have will alternately damage the windshield, so not worth it). So, silicone is going to be applied. It should hold up. In case anyone else has this problem, hope this helps. Sorry I do not know the technical term for the actual area. If anyone needs clarification, I can take pictures and explain this in more detail. Also, if anyone wants, I can update and let you know how the silicone holds up. Before I silicone this, does anyone know of anything that can hold up better, or will this do the job? Thank you!

Look at my post on this thread

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=148631

I am rebuilding my 1980 280zx and and have found some bad engineering arround the windshield. The panels are placed in a bad angle for rain run-off. Any roofer knows to lay shingles over to allow water run-off over the shingles. Too bad the nissan engineers didn't spend a summer roofing lol.

Plus that horrible seam sealer they used is so porous.

I finnished those areas but haven't updated the pics. Just used pf214 (Pro-form firm and flex premium rubber based sealer). Comes in a caulking tube. The most important thing is to remove as much rust as possible and use a self-etch primmer. I spent hours with a small pick getting into seams and hard to reach areas.

it will keep your ride intact

good luck