HybridZ

Found this in the oil pan?!?!!?!?!?

jerryb

Was afraid of it had something to do with the chain.....I was hoping to avoid taking off the front cover.....damn! :evil:...PLASTIC!!!

Ive only taken one KAe apart and dont recall what the guide looked like. Are you thinking the tension guide??

I must have the old good ones somewhere.....LOL

Thanx

Has Nissan done what they did with the Q45 engine in '94 and upgraded the replacement/stock chain guides to cermaic coated metal instead of the crummy plastic guides for the KA's.

I had to replace those damn things twice in 100K and the second time traded the POS Stanzain on a Town Car.

Has Nissan done what they did with the Q45 engine in '94 and upgraded the replacement/stock chain guides to cermaic coated metal instead of the crummy plastic guides for the KA's.

I had to replace those damn things twice in 100K and the second time traded the POS Stanzain on a Town Car.

they started using metal guides with the KADE. not sure what year but i know kouki s14's have 'em.

they started using metal guides with the KADE. not sure what year but i know kouki s14's have 'em.

I believe the replacement parts have been superceeded to use metal guides with a coating on them if you buy them for any year KA. you could look on rockauto.com to see which aftermarket manufacturer makes them and what they look like. if they look metal, when you get them and they're not metal... don't pay fer em!

EDIT: looks like beck-arnley's are a full metal slack side with a plastic face, as well as the tension side. The two of em will be like 40 - 50 bucks CAD. Infact, the pic that was posted look like beck-arnley units. AND... if you notice your pics, jerry... the rounded broken piece is probably where the bolt went in for the slack side... it's plastic. booooo! hisssss! hissss!

If possible, you could go ahead and put a 280zx oil pump on the ka24e, as it's a higher volume and it bolts right up to the single cam. Not sure what it involves- installation wise... but my friend does have it on his built ka24e. I figure it's one of those while you're there things.

is that a bad thing when they break?

I had a Toyota motor with plastic guides that broke. Then one day (at my wedding reception actually, which was not the same day as the wedding day) I went to leave and turned the key and my timing chain broke. Luckily my friend was there and yelled at me not to turn the motor over again, he knew exactly what had happened. Anyway a piece of the plastic guide had gotten between the chain and crank gear and that's what snapped it. Luckily since it happened at 200 rpm and I didn't keep trying to start it, only one valve was bent. We replaced the chain at my in-law's place and drove home on 3 1/2 cylinders.

So yeah, those pieces might sit there in the bottom of the pan and do nothing for thousands of miles. Or they might not.

Great news Raff....I will hunt down the metal pieces. Thanx for checking.

ANNNNND...:mrgreen: already have the L28 turbo pump ready to go in!!:mrgreen:

So yeah, those pieces might sit there in the bottom of the pan and do nothing for thousands of miles. Or they might not.

I believe this is the case with this KA. It has been a DD for the last 2 years, but the fellow didnt drive it hard. He couldnt....the exhaust manifold was bolted on with 3 of 8 bolts and the stock intake piping was full of holes. Im surprised it drove at all!!!

Its going into my track car so its just as well I found it....the compression is 150 on all 4 cylinders and I want this little block to last longer than one event! :mrgreen:

DSC_0651.jpg

DSC_0653.jpg

The installed piece is a the plastic version removed from my other motor. I will buy a metal unit before reassembly....just an FYI.

Why do they break? Plastic is weak or does the chain get loose and slaps against the guild? I will clean the tensioner just in case its blocked.

also, what the KA24Es like to do is after all of the plastic peices have broken, the chain will eventually eat on the timing cover and break through into one of the mail coolant flow passages from the water pump. then you get chocolate milk in your oil pan and it mayonaises your motor.

looks like a blown headgasket, but its really the water pump epmtying the system into your oil pan, which is actually worse. fills the oil pan up right quick too! I drained about 2 gallons out of a car once.