HybridZ

Is your datsun worth the work?

83zxowner

I have a 1980 zx and have owned it since 1992. I bought it with 75,000kms on her. I took it off the road last year because I rebuilt a turbo l28 and was going to slap her in there. I had over 450,000kms and thought it would be time to give some love back to her.

After spending hundreds of hours porting, polishing, cleaning and assembling the motor I started to strip the engine compartment and front end. I found the frame rails need extensive work and the floors were gone. Watch your battery for spilling on the frame rail.

After 6 months of repairing the problems I am getting close to getting the car back inshape. I thought I would never see her go back together because I thought she was too far gone to put that 350hp turbo motor back in her.

I love this car and that is coming from a guy who has 2 fullsize chevy trucks in my driveway. I have owned a mess of muscle cars. Chevelles, mailbu, cutlass and found that there is more fun out there than driving in a straight line fast. No muscle car has independent suspension, 4 wheel discs and best tourque to wieght displacement on the market at its time.

I always look forward to taking off the tops and getting out of town. Always could find some guy in a new or old Mustang who wanted to let loose at the light. I have made many Mustang owners shake their heads in astonishment that they were beaten (easily) with a 30 year old Datsun. Put them into the corners and they could be placed in the rear view mirror quickly. And that without this new turbo motor.

I have owned this car for 17 years so I know I am biased. I have done a fair bit to this car to keep her running. Still original drivetrain and never removed. Most done was rebuilt head. Biggest pet peeves = electrical, heater and the god-dam seam sealer they used. New car gets a wiring harness built by me. Seams are all redone and the heater/ac is gone.

You asked why we love our cars and I thought I would share my expierence. Build your garage and dedicate 2 hours (which I know you couch surf durring) 3 days a week. Its amazing how quickly things start to come together.

Every car i had before that he made me sell i regret doing so to this day. your input would be greatly appreciated.

Stand firm, do what YOU want to do. Listen to the advice, but in the end it is just advice. You can leave it, your on your own.

When I was 18 my dad and I looked at a rust free Z w/ a bad front end (rack and pinion) for $700. This was in 88. He convinced me not to get it. Was one of the biggest regrets I had back then.

I traded a 1973 Datsun 620 truck for my 240Z. I put two years and a lot of custom work into my truck.

My wife was very unhappy with my decision to trade, but I took two weeks before I moved on it. It was the right choice! The Zcar is not a plush as my truck.....yet, but that will all change.

i've only had my zx for a year and i bought it for 1 grand.. i atleast put over 7 hundred total on it.. and it wasnt even on mods.. its all replacing parts. brakes, gaskets, lights, hoses. etc. my z is stock and i strongly believe i waste alot of time on it, but i love my car. so i think.. its not a waste really.. just do what you love to do..

My Z's have beat out ex girlfriends.. so hehe I love em more than life itself. The one Im sending to Z Heaven now is my 81 280zx I had for 10 years Still ran fine but it lived during my poorer days so I couldnt really finish the body. Now time, weather, gravity, and earths pollution has made it almost Earthen again =-)

And thus a NewZ is born. My 1981.5 Ttop Turbo 280zx (Z31 SPec *ecu swap*)

I think every one who own's a a agee there nothing like it , my first z was a 240z wish i had kept it then i get a 260z wish had kept it and now i have a 280zx it.s not going anywhere , yhere nothing like a z so follow your heart.

Hahaha...my first is a 240z I had better not let her go. :mrgreen:

I haven't read through all of these posts... The thing is, it is a bit off-putting how much you rely on your fathers input about your car. If you have purchased this Z, because you love it and you would like to get under the hood, and make her as good as she can be, then GO for it. I don't care if it's an import or a muscle car, and eventually, your father will probably come around. Especially when he realizes the cars potentially. Either way, finish up the garage.. It's something you need to have to work on her, as with any vehicle. These cars have their downfalls, as any other car would. Especially one with the years yours has. All I'm saying is, finish the garage, and work on the car you love. Whatever kind it is.

• 2 weeks later...

My old man thought I was a little crazy to get into such an old car and put all the time, energy and money into it. But he trusted me in my judgement and it was actually the first car I bought that he didn't have any involvment in (inspecting it beforehand). The car was an hour and a half away and he trusted my abilities but still sort of doubted the purchase of a 30+ year old car overall.

I put a ton of time and money into it. And in my 24 years my dad has NEVER owned a car (always a Truck/SUV/Jeep). Prior to that he actually owned a Datsun 240Z back in the 70's and Ausin Healey 3000's/Sprites in his younger years and even raced MG's.

Anyway, the Z was a great purchase overall. He's almost 60 now and anytime i'm out at their place working on the Z he'll usually find his way into the shop and spending a few hours working on it with me. I've always wrenched on Jeeps my whole life, but I think he got a bit of a bug from the Z. One day last fall I tossed him the keys and told him and mom to go have a fun day with it. They drove a couple hundred kilometers and I could tell he'd enjoyed himself. After that point he hunted around all winter for a newer 350Z and then I finally convinced him to check out the new 370Z.

Long story short after several months he finally got his hands on a brand new black 370Z and he's happier than a pig in ♥♥♥♥. I'm glad the car sparked that in him.