HybridZ

The build of a l6 turbo header

wax

Well i decided to build my turbo header this week so here are some pics for you. I rung a shop asking about merge collectors for the headers but quicly realised the guy had no idea what he was talking about even though he makes and sells them

So it was time to do them myself

DSC08752.jpg

and there is my manifold sitting on the ground, well its kinda there just not welded up yet

Notice the socks

DSC08750.jpg

I went into work today and did some more work on my Exhaust manifold.

Its comimg along nicely, of course its all just tacked together and has to be fully welded once all the pipes are sorted

Thats not where the header pipe will end up it was just a play to see what it would look like

002-6.jpg

003-5.jpg

007-2.jpg

010-2.jpg

011-3.jpg

012-1.jpg

013.jpg

014-1.jpg

And to suport the manifold when its finished

015-2.jpg

• Like 1

Ok progress pics

I have done the front pipes and hopefully will get the rest done tomorrow or at least this week.

Then its time to remove them and weld them all solid and put them back on. Im reasonablly happy with how its turning out its no monzter style thing but its even length and held close to engine and out of the way.

008-3.jpg

006-4.jpg

005-4.jpg

004-6.jpg

003-6.jpg

002-7.jpg

your going to have some heatsoak problems with the 1st and possibly the second runners, and probably also on the 5th and 6th runners if the design is symetrical.

I would suggest HPC coating the exhaust manifold and if there is space, make up a heat sheild between the two manifolds.

I can see that the heat shield option wont be easy though.

That aside, the whole thing is looking awesome, i wish i had you as my auto teacher, mine was just obsessed with old chevs...

Yeah its close but the intake manifold was not bolted up tight and so it had dropped abit as well

Yes the plan is to get it hpc coated to reduce the temps as well

Thanks for the heads up , im pretty happy with the design so far.

I brought the flange of ebay, but you can get them water cut if you want them.

The intake is just waiting to be wleded up , however i have some itbs i may put on instead just for that coolness look

I didnt ge tthis one cut i brought it

But you can get them cut i got quoted at $100

I was thinking about making a few of these for a while , not sure now and so was getting prices

Im not sure what brand of turbo to use yet

A chinese one is quite likely , I have spoken to a few people that have run them and they have the same result you did.

I went to metaland and brough the bends they are $4.50 each or close to it

I will go buy some more tomorrow as im getting low on them now.

Hi I noticed that some of the gaps in the joints are a bit wide. As I would like to try a manifold fab myself , I was wondering how you clean any burn through. With all the bends and twists you couldn't do it with a solid burr, from outside. I have herd of people using some kind of hone that flexes through the tube. But I havent seen it.

Thanks

Thats because the pipe i am using has a massive v ground in it already, it makes it look like its got a massive clearance. there is a couple that have a bit bigger than they should.

when i weld it up in sections i will weld a section on then clean it from the inside while i can get to it. then weld the next section on.