HybridZ

The build of a l6 turbo header

wax

I would SERIOUSLY re-design so that you dont have those pipes so close to the intake. It will make a big difference. No matter what barrier you install, it wont be enough. It is alot easier to do it now, rather than once you have it all welded up. Just some food for thought.

• Like 1

OK well did some more work on it today. of course i didnt have enough bends i was one short

I will go get some more tomorrow and do some work on it thursday

006-5.jpg

001-8.jpg

002-8.jpg

003-7.jpg

004-7.jpg

005-5.jpg

The intake manifold is just sitting on there at the moment so dont think its going to be running and touching the header at the same time

I have redone number 6 it doesnt look right , you can see it in the first pic

I'm with brian on this one wax, I'd take the whole of what you have, and drop it down a bit. It wouldn't be too hard to do, just seperate before the first bend, and angle the first straight section down about 10 degrees, for an inch and a half or so.this will rotate the turbo a smidge, but it should still be ok. it will help ALOT with heat. Even with the ceramic coating, you will still hit a heat problem real fast with this design. Besides, you aren't changing anything major, and a little prep is gonna be worth a lot less headache later.

That said, you've got an awesome pile of snakes there. :flamedevi I wish I had the time to do one like that, i probably will after i get my car running. A simple head swap between the two N42 castings i have prepped and i'll be able to go from 9.7:1 to 8.3:1...Future-Proofing, they call it.

Can't wait to see it all finished and cerama-chromed up! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I would take two pieces of very thin stainless sheet sandwiched together, use a hammer to form them over the headers, separate them, place fiberglass between then, rivit them together, and bolt your new shield to the bottom of the intake leaving about 1/4 an inch spacing from the headers.

If you look at dodge viper headers, they have a shield that looks like someone formed it over the headers with a hammer.

+1 on the heat shield and gaining some space.

On the Coating - use the 2000 deg variant, and don't get black.

Have you looked at putting some expansion joints in there anywhere? I think you'll be happier in the end if you do.

I will be cutting the flanges between the cylinders to allow for the pipes to move

I also have an electrical furnace i will be putting the manifold into to normalise it after its all been welded.

I appreciate your coments about the pipes but the picture makes them look closer than they are , i also have had used this thermal coating before and i know how effective it is , if this was not good enough i would simply wrap the pipes in tape , though this would be a pain

They are mild steel bends, 3mm thickness.This is what i use on all the turbo manifolds i have built to such date it works just fine

I think you will find is the angle that the pic is taken on makes it look closer than it is .

Have a look at the pic of the other manifold up top it will run as close if not closer than the one i have made.

And for all the people that seem to want to find fault in everything, Now the turbo doesnt hit the side of the car it has about an inch clearance its the angle its taken at

A guy that can not take constructive critisisim, will not make it far. If you cant take it, dont post on this forum. All we are doing is providing our own personal experience with these motors, and motors in general. Use it or dont.

Seems like he's not convinced that it will be nesseary.

On the other hand some are conviced he will have a problem, and won't let it go.

I figure that this fellow would let us know if he has problems later, in the mean time has not this ship sailed on clearence.

He is not the one bringing it up all the time.

Also, 1fastZ I have no reason not to believe you and your expertise, however, it reminds me of others crapping about your cover. You got it and some would not let it go.

Am I correct WAX that you will let us know if you run into vapor lock? Then this thread can be used as an example of what works or not???......