HybridZ

tp38 on vg30

I just got a tp38 off of a 7.3 powerstroke, year unknown, it is in very good condition got it for 75 bucks... I think the exhaust is 1.0 a/r which I hear is big but rx7 guys said they have ran it, a few mustang ran it too. Any one here have any expirience with this turbo, planning on using it on a vg30et, it cant be bigger than a gt42 and I know of 2 cars running those making 800hp.

Ill get some pictures but I need to figure out how to run the oil lines, it is like 2 holes in the top of it, unthreaded.

Well my friend I really dont know how that turbo is going to work on the VG30, but I am using a T-66 with P .81A/R in the exhaust in my current engine and works perfect. I am going to use something bigger in my other engine, but I dont think I use something as big as 1.0 exhaust A/R. I wish you good luck with your project.

I need to measer the wheel to find out the trim and all that crap, Dont know if I can take the compressor housing off. should just be those rusty bolts but dont know if I should try. Thanks for the input, Your running a vg30? mods?

Im not possitive what the exhaust a/r is. I know some have been 1.0+ some 1.0 and some under that, Im really not sure, it says 1.0 on the compressor housing, but not on the exhaust. I know the older ones were smaller and this one isnt the newest powerstroke turbo but it is in perfect condition.

I know ive heard of someone blocking off one side to get the velocity up... I may try that. Im about to get a welder for me and my friend to tackle up an front mount exhaust manifold. I realize its pretty big but at least it wont restrict it. I think it would be good for a vg33 with cams and headwork...

If any thing ill keep it for a future project I have planned, a 1UZ-FE in some car, starlet, z31, or s30.

This is a fairly good size turbo

from left to right, 4lek from 11 liter volvo, tp38 from 7.3 liter ford, h1c(old hx35)

l_aaef978b49c94327b5ad6ed83099017c.jpg

Maybe it works with a VG30 or VG33. I try different combinations with different turbo size and models of turbo trims, but my favorite is the T-66 turbos or equivalent turbo in ball bearings with a P.81 on the exhaust. With port & polish heads with valve angle jobs or Ferrea 1.0mm bigger valves, a good set of cams, custom intake manifold with a big throttle , stand alone engine management and etc, and with the turbo I talk you about, you will be able to reach more than 550rwhp and its no joke.

• 1 month later...
no clue how the oil lines attatch to this..

might make a little tube in a machine shop at my college and weld it to that then weld a fitting onto that, not sure.

l_9c7fbbec5ea14180b5d2d982cdf43e7a.jpg

It says in your sig that you have a couple turbo Nissans. Look at one of your T3s, there is a metal piece that bolts on the the middle of the turbo that connects the turbo to the oil lines. You just need to find that piece.

• 1 year later...

I have a TP-38 on a 350 in a 280Z (Grassroots Motorsports Challenge car). What I did for oiling is build a bracket from steel bar and welded a brake line coupler to the feed side and a 1/2" pipe nipple to the drain side. I put copper permatex on the plate for a seal and it held up to four autocross runs and two drag runs without any problems. The ideal situation is to have a factory type o ring seal on the turbo. You could get a turbo pedestal off of a powerstroke and modify that for your oil lines. These turbo are good to around 500 hp but are getting to the edge of the map at that point. You could probably push them to 600 but you are overspeeding it which is my plan but not recommended. I believe the Bonneville car running two of them is a ball bearing version of this turbo. On your motor it will likely be slow to spool. On my 350 it spools around 3000 rpm but that is with a .84 ar exhaust housing. I belive my turb came from an early 99 van. Oh and i forgot to mention you said the oil line where on the top that is actually the bottom of the turbo.