HybridZ

Was there ever a factory comp. cylinder head for the L6?

SSS-S30

So I'm browsing through the West Coast craigslist ads and I see this:

"A brand new L-6 series racing head for 240/260 series motors. This is a factory competition cast head with smaller combustion chamber & larger ports. Last of these heads to be imported into US by Nissan Competition (NISMO) Purchased out of stock in 1996. Not available anywhere. Never mounted, bare head, in box. Those Datsun collectors will know what this part is worth. Paid $1,200 for head, as I was a Nissan racer out of the Electramotive shop."

Unfortunately he didn't post any pics or any info regarding the casting number. I don't remember ever seeing a Nissan factory comp. head for the L6 listed in the old Datsun Comp. catalogs. Wasn't the LY head the only factory race cylinder head made by Nissan for the L6?

On a another note, post # 1 for me.:mrgreen:

I'd need to see photos and casting numbers to confirm the FIA head. Other than that...it is likely just a NOS bare casting.

The LY and FIA heads for the 6 Cylinder were produced, neither of which was legal for competition in the USA, and neither of which was listed in the N/Comp Catalogs at the timeframe he is mentioning. All they had were E31's, E88's.

ABOUT that time, Nissan Comp was clearancing a lot of stuff, and there was a rash of bare E88 heads that went out the door. I have one of those, they are the 'early' E88 with the smaller chamber used on 240's, not the 'late' E88 used in the 260's.

For a working head as a base, it's a nice starting point. But do you really need a pristine new head to work from? Depends on how much you're planning on making. The new casting would be nice to port up and rework as there is no corrosion. But the head for serious work is just raw material, for big gains it's going to be welded, etc. And if you do it to one....you can do it to any of the others!

It is new...though!

There was a guy in the same area selling some L16 heads---IRON. ALL IRON. Made for interesting prospects when you consider what some studs, O-Rings, and that short stroke would be capable of under boost. And worries about overheating the alloy head? GONE!

I figured that since he is selling it for $850, it can't be a real FIA head which would probably worth several thousand $.

I've searched for more info on the FIA heads and only found the post with HS30-H's pics of the FIA L6 Safari head. Seems there is not a lot of info available on these FIA heads.

By the way, thanks for your response Tony D. I have been lurking on the site for a while and always find your posts, along with posts from others, very informative.

Edited by SSS-S30
gr

Sounds like one of the left over heads off of Bob Lentz GT2 car of possibly Greg Master's car that was purchased with something like 3 electromotive engines back in 1990.

I remember the engines sitting upstairs at datsun dynamics but I'm not sure what happened to them as Greg's dad flat out liquidated it with zero thinking and a lot of good stuff never made it to the hands of those who could do something with it.

Sounds like one of the left over heads off of Bob Lentz GT2 car of possibly Greg Master's car that was purchased with something like 3 electromotive engines back in 1990.

I remember the engines sitting upstairs at datsun dynamics but I'm not sure what happened to them as Greg's dad flat out liquidated it with zero thinking and a lot of good stuff never made it to the hands of those who could do something with it.

:cry: Making me cry with that sad story.

I've seen some dude on ebay advertising an e31 or e88 head for the same thing. They read up in a book that the smaller combustion chamber and big ports make it a racing head when in reality, you can use any head you want and play with the headgasket, deck height, rods, pin height, milled heads, etc. for higher compression. Of course you have to go by whatever the rules are asking for. :icon44:

All in all, he was trying to sell a bare head with no cam/valves/springs/anything for like $1000 buy it now. Utterly ridiculous.

EDIT: I found it. He must have reposted it wondering why no one bought it. I was wrong about what it comes with, he has the solid lifters and thats it. :P

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-240Z-E88-L6-Cylinder-head_W0QQitemZ150346710494QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item23015cbdde&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A3|39%3A1|240%3A1318

This focus on the small chamber heads has more to do with SCCA's IT rules then anything else. Unless you're building a car for a specific race series that requires an original (for the model/year) head casting, you should start with a bigger valve head and build the combustion chamber/compression ratio you want.

When did you work at DD? I was there when they were closing shop...sad day. Anything and everything was getting sold, given away and if not thrown in the dumpster. My buddy got a 240Z from them that a customer never came to pickup. Another friend picked up one of the DD Z31 300ZX SCCA rolling shell. I got to hear Bob's tube chassis, triple carb, seqential trans nastiness fired up and revved up

Brian and son Ryan is at: http://www.autoexpectations.com and one of the other mechanics is at: http://www.creationz.biz/New%20Website/Home%20Page.htm

I was there in 1990-1991

If you saw a L28et with the super rare P99 head, that was an engine I donated along with the grey 1984 300zx turbo slicktop since I figured those guys might want the steel roof.

I recently got into contact with Brian and wish him the best.

If I end up moving back up to DC, I will surely look into doing anything I can to help them out since Brian and his son are pretty much all that is left of the spirit of Datsun Dynamics and I would really like to see them gain back some of the loyal customer base and keep the fire burning.

That guy in NC is high as a kite! If he want's that much, how much should I ask for my NOS, never been on the car, ZERO MILE E88 that I got in my above mentioned previous post?

One billion dollars!?!?!?!?

The Craigslist Ad was apparently kosher, BTW. Head was sold. Even if it was only a run of the mill NEW head...that's not a darned bad starting point for a NEW never corroded L-Head I guess...

I would have paid $850 for a NEW head unseen, before I paid $1000 for a Used 60K mile head with no cam towers!

The Craigslist Ad was apparently kosher, BTW. Head was sold. Even if it was only a run of the mill NEW head...that's not a darned bad starting point for a NEW never corroded L-Head I guess...

I would have paid $850 for a NEW head unseen, before I paid $1000 for a Used 60K mile head with no cam towers!

Well, he is in your neck of the woods Tony D. I'm so jealous of you guys on the West Coast, so many deals to be had on craigslist vs what's for sale on the east coast.