HybridZ

Will a JTR trans crossmember work for T56?

I have had a JTR transmission crossmember lying around for about 5-6 years, along with other parts destined long ago for a 350/t5 or equivalent swap. Will this crossmember work for a T56? I'm assuming some modifications for mount holes would be required, but I wanted to confirm that the design will still put the transmission int he right location...

I used that mount in my lt-1 car and the ls1 car. Both have the T56. I did need to address drive line angles. I think I had to notch part of the mount for one car but I really didn;t have to do alot to it.

not sure about 280z but on 240z area each side of tunnel is flat across to chasis rail either side

pics i have seen of jci gearbox crossmember are very similar to jtr just have piece either end that bolts to chasis rail either side horizonatally on 280z as 240z chasis rail is not thick enough to bolt in that way from my experience

mick

I used it on my 240 + T56 (gen I) . I shimmed my crossmember with aluminum plate to sit about 1/4" lower for driveline angles, added another layer of sheetmetal under and biggest washers I could fit inside, slightly bent ends to fit floor. Took a fair amount of beating for clearance.

Other piece is driveshaft loop.

zzzz-0041.jpg

hehe, i see now. you changed the pic though, and now i see what you're pointing at. i thought you referred to the front diff crossmember in the pic. :)

Same pic, just added some text to clarify.

It is a crappy pic regarding the subject. I guess bottom line is the answer, yes the JTR crossmember works with the T56.

Here's one showing reinforcemet plate and aluminum shim I used on my T56. Easier to drop the crossmember or raise the trans mount than messing with the rear end for drive line angles.

zzzz_0061.jpg

nod. no problem.

I actually wound up ordering the JCI trans mount. I have complete mount set for JTR SBC, so I can sell it off as a complete set. I'm sure I can get $150 or so for the JTR kit I have now, which won't be useful to me after this swap. My original plan back in the day was an sbc350 with wc t5

• 2 months later...
OK, bringing this back from the dead so I could post up a pic of the JTR trans mount vs the JCI trans mount, in case someone else wanted to know this information. Just snapped these pictures

Hi, the tranmission crossmember shown is not the mount JTR sells, but it is a crossmember made from the drawing in the book.

We do offer two different transmission mounts. One for the T5, 700-R4, T350, and one for the T56. The T56 mount is about 1 lower in the center.

We now make the crossmembers in house, and use slotted holes to allow for front-to-back and side-to-side adjustability.

• 4 months later...

Just to clear this up (I hope) so others dont make the same mistake that I did.... The JTR T56 mount will not work or work right on a 280Z. The floor is not flat in the area that the mount bolts to the floor. You may be able to modify the floor, but unless you spent A LOT of time on this it would not work well.