HybridZ

Weighed My Car and Got F/R Weight Distribution

Scottie-GNZ

Forgot to mention that I put my car on a scale before I pulled it apart. Since I intend to change the Vette spring, I needed to know what the rear weight was in order to get the correct spring rate.

Total Weight - 2,620 lbs

Front - 1,380 lbs, 52.7%

Rear - 1,240 lbs, 47.3%

Not sure how to factor in my 220lbs, but since it is just forward of the rear axle it should be mostly on the rear. If I put it all on the rear it is 48.6% & 51.4%.

Not sure how that compares to a stock Z, but any car that has better than 50-50 with the driver is great IMO. Should be interesting when I get the Vette IRS in.

Very similar to mine too. Mine started out 1140/1110 for a 50.6/49.4 F/R distribution (without driver in race trim). But add the same size and heavier street tires (front and rear) and wheels, a front lip, headlights, fans, wiring, and body mods to make it bolt on probably get it to more like 1210/1130 for a 51.7/48.3 F/R.

AHHHHHH!!!!

How do you weigh a Z????

i Have access to a set of scales at work that they weigh pallets with. Would i just drive the car up on it with the fronts take a weight then with the rear and take that weight. Then add up for total weight? Help me out here ;>

thanks

stony

oh yea check this forum out http://www.automotiveforums.com

One more note, for an acurate weight, the height of the scale (the surface that the tires rest on) must also be added under the tires to the other side of the car so that the car is essentially level when you take your readings.

Terry

I went to a place that sells landscape materials such as bulk rock, mulch, and fertilizer. When I pulled up in the 74 260Z (2610lbs w/o me.) I asked to have my car weighed and the lady just laughed and said sure - no charge. The scale by law is very accurate (<10lbs in 1,000lbs) because of the commercial business so here is another place to get your car weighed. Also, most drag strips have scales but they generally cost.

Danno74Z

A little while back I weighed my 5.0L ford powered 260Z at the drag strip. With 16 gallons of fuel, fifty pounds of tools in the passenger floor, and my daughters baby seat, the car weighed 2675 w/o me.

I have since put the car on a little diet. The front bumber and mounts were removed, etc...

So, curious about weight distribution, I did the following to get a rough estimate of weight distribution.

1. I measured the length of the springs with the car on level ground and the suspenion settled from a short drive.

Front springs 8.5 in compressed

Rear springs 6.5 in compressed

2. I subtracted the compressed height from the free length of the springs.

Front Free Length = 12 in (200 lb/in)

Rear Free Length = 10 in (175 lb/in)

therefore each of the springs was compressed 3.5 in.

Knowing the spring rate of the springs, I then calculated the force being applied along the spring axis.

Rear 3.5 in * 200 lb/in = 700 lb

Front 3.5 in * 175 lb/in = 612.5 lb

Then using the angle of the struts and some trig, I calculated the force perpendicular to the road surface.

700 lb / cos(13.5) = 680.7 lbs /rear wheel

612.5 / cos(13.5) = 595.6 lbs / front tire

As a reality check, I summed the four tires

2* 680.7 + 2* 595.6 = 2552 lbs

This is what I would have expected because the car had only 12 gallons of gas and no tools, baby seat, or front bumper.

This yields the following weight distribution.

46.67 % on front

53.33 % on rear icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

I view these results with some skepticism because of inaccuracies in spring rate, etc..., but I find them encouraging.

Dan McGrath

Dan,

not to be a doubter, but I doubt a V-8 Z could have that good a F-R weight distribution. Aluminum heads and battery in the trunk would go a long to helping though.

Where you been. Have not seen you and the car in a while. I am planning on going down to Moroso this Sunday for a big import meet. You up for it?

Yeah Scottie, I doubt the results too. I need access to some wheel scales to get accurate numbers.

I've been autocrossing the car rather than drag racing lately. I've been concentrating on handling and braking.

I'm going to the Lockheed Martin plant this weekend to compete in the Martin Sports Car Club event. Moroso sounds enticing. Hopefully you will invite me next time you go.

Your project has taken an interesting turn. A corvette IRS icon_eek.gif .

Hope to see you soon,

Dan McGrath

Dan, the friction in the strut cartridges are going to play havok with this method. Plus it's difficult to measure the actual lever arms that the springs work at, and hence the wheel rate vs the spring rate. Some blown out struts could help MEASURE the wheel rate, I'd think.

It seems to me that another way you could make a rough calculation of the weight at each corner is to multiply the area of the contact patch of the tire by its air pressure. You could estimate the contact patch using 4 pieces of cardboard placed on the ground around the tire, pushed up tight to the tire, to form a rectangle. Then just measure the length and width of the rectangle to get the contact area.

I don't know how acurate it would be, but it would be pretty fast and easy to try.

Nigel