HybridZ

Its Official: I own another S30, except this time going LSx...

Its true, after selling BBZ (Big Block Chevrolet 454 powered 1975 280z) to another HybridZ member last August I have been without a Z car. I vowed to return with another S30 and so I have.

Earlier today I picked up a 1975 Datsun 280z for little more than a song. It appears bone stock except for a set of aluminum vintage Enkei 14" wheels (they look just like old school 2-piece Centerlines). It also has the factory R200 and optional 5-speed tranny.

So, the plan is to yank the low mileage 5.3 LSx (from a 2004 Escalade) and 4L60e (from a 2004 GTO) from my '69 Chevy C10 and transplant them into my newest edition. The EFI combo is already to go since it was modified for stand-alone operation.

This car is nicknamed LSZ.

While the motor is out I might swap out the stock cam in favor of a LS6 cam or maybe something alittle larger if funds allow. Ultimately the car will have a 100-150 HP wetshot of nitrous.

LSZ itself will soon be receiving a few personal touches as well. First on the list is to ditch the huge and heavy 5 mph bumpers. Next the remaining carpet and insulation will get removed, floors cleaned and covered with POR paint, and depending on how bad the seats are (currently hidden under seat covers) they may get recovered or trashed in favor of something else.

Just like BBZ, LSZ's body will be shaved of all chrome side trim, marker lights, emblems, antenna hole, etc. Although I might add a GM emblem 'LSx' to the fenders or hood after paint in the distant future. Also is the return of BBZ's 4" cowl hood. BBZ's owner doesn't care for it, so we've made an arrangement for me to purchase it back. The cowl hood will hopefully allow me to keep the truck intake (for the time being) and still close the hood. I also might add a BRE style spoiler, time will tell.

Unlike BBZ, I would like to keep a 'stock' feel with the interior with LSZ. BBZ was more toward a race type interior down to no carpet, coverless racing shifter, and Auto Meter Sport-Comp gauges throughout. I think this time I'll keep LSZ with the stock gauges (albeit modified for use with the LSx electronics) and most of the stock type interior minus an aftermarket shifter and stereo.

Then of course as time passes and funds allow, LSZ will receive many of the same upgrades that BBZ received like Q45 R200 with Moser Axles and CV's, coilover suspension, Toyota 4x4 brakes, larger/wider rims and tires, and unlike BBZ under my ownership, paint and maybe A/C.

Questions/comments?

Thanks for reading guys!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Update...

Looks like I am going with a LQ4 6.0 afterall. Its just a long block, the donor it came out of was in a fire and cooked the intake, sensors, bearings, and some rust is now present in most of the cylinders. It needs a rebuild, but more or less the long block will remain stock. I'll still end up 'stealing' all the EFI stuff off the 5.3 in my truck after the 6.0 has been freshened up.

Another member is also selling me a low mileage '03 LS6 cam and springs, so that'll end up in there too for another 40+HP over the stock LQ4 cam.

If I get near 400 HP/TQ N/A I'll be a happy camper and so will my Z. Then the nitrous will be added down the road.

eng01_thumb.jpg

eng04_thumb.jpg

eng05_thumb.jpg

eng02_thumb.jpg

eng03_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, time for an update. Stock engine and tranny are gone, as are the stock bumpers. The car is ready for the JCI mounts (just showed up today), and I had a neighbor who owes me a few favors strip the engine bay to bare metal, remove/grind/smooth any unused brackets throughout the engine bay. Today he primered it and shot 2 coats of high gloss Ferrari red. Tomorrow he'll shoot at least two coats of clear on top of that.

So, what do you guys think?

PIC-0340_thumb.jpg

PIC-0338_thumb.jpg

PIC-0339_thumb.jpg

PIC-0346_thumb.jpg

PIC-0347_thumb.jpg

you know, your steering rack boots are painted... i hope you masked off the input on the brake booster, otherwise you're going to need to replace it.

all the paint on the boots and the steering rack coupler will break off under use

uh. because if paint got into the brake booster where the MC connects...it's probably not a great thing?

I still don't see why I would have to replace the booster dude.

Thank you for your concern anyway.

Are you still going to keep the lq4 intake manifold. I want to stick with that so that and all the stock pulleys and accessorys. Will that work? Of course i will be removing a/c and p/s. Our swaps are very similar.

Yes, I will be retaining the stock 5.3 LM7 intake (same as the LQ4/LQ9 intake). I haven't put the motor in the Z yet because I am still raising funds for the re-freshening (budget rebuild). Although I might just use the 5.3 LM7 for the time being.

However my buddy Miles has the exact same intake on his 240z and the truck intake and alternator/alternator bracket will not clear the stock S30 hood. Luckily for Miles and myself that doesn't matter because we both are using cowl induction hoods that give us the necessary clearance for both.

Yes, I will be retaining the stock 5.3 LM7 intake (same as the LQ4/LQ9 intake). I haven't put the motor in the Z yet because I am still raising funds for the re-freshening (budget rebuild). Although I might just use the 5.3 LM7 for the time being.

However my buddy Miles has the exact same intake on his 240z and the truck intake and alternator/alternator bracket will not clear the stock S30 hood. Luckily for Miles and myself that doesn't matter because we both are using cowl induction hoods that give us the necessary clearance for both.

Thats good to know. Cause everyone else talks about changing over all the accessories. So i thought i was stuck with having to get all the ls1 parts. Thanks for the info. Im going to the junk yard today to get another hood and im probally going to just cut a hole in it for now. I'll keep you updated on my swap also. :lol:

A good reason to swap the accessories is because so many people sell the LS6/LS1 intakes because they upgrade to the FAST, or some other type of intake manifold.

Although this is true, the LS1 intakes will cause you to lose power over the truck intake (but are cheap) and the LS6 intake don't improve anything until above 6000+ RPM and are still fetching $450+ (used) w/o fuel rails/injectors/etc.