HybridZ

How good was the stock A/C in our S30's?

Hey guys, my '75 280z is a factory A/C car. It wasn't working when I bought the car, so I have no idea. I am in the process of swapping in a late model LSx into the car and wouldn't mind hooking up the factory A/C back up and use it to keep me from sweating so much in Bakersfield's 110 degree Summers.

I was considering an aftermarket setup that would replace everything, including the controls. However, I want to keep the interior of my Z looking as stock as possible, although under the hood is a completely different direction. More or less I want everything looking as stock as possible, before opening the hood.

Anyway, I already sourced the compressor and bracket I am going to use with the LSx, so no worries there. I plan on using a stock condenser and all the stock A/C pieces under the dash, including the controls. I even plan on using R-12 since I have over 25 lbs of it in storage.

Since everything will be the way Nissan designed and installed it, it should work basically the same as the factory setup, except with the use higher efficiency compressor.

So my original question remains, how good was the factory A/C in these cars?

Thanks guys!!

I don't know how well most do, but the AC in my first 280 blew pretty cold, though in my Z32 I have now it's much colder with more volume.

You might want to make sure the compressor you're going to use is compatible with R12. Some refridgerants eat the seals on different compressors. You might consider keeping as much of the swapped AC system as you can. Some of the stock S30 stuff should work, but you'll need to make sure it's cleaned out. Compressor oil etc. The set it up with the new system. that is unless you can mount the Stock S30 compresson on your V8.

Guest Rolling Parts

It's not overly cold at 110F, especially if you don't have a louver on the rear hatch glass. It will be just OK. I did see pictures of a conversion a guy in Phoenix did where he installed a rear A/C unit from a Suburban at the very back of the hatch area blowing forward! That "dual a/c" system probably worked great at the 110-120F in Phoenix!

You might want to make sure the compressor you're going to use is compatible with R12. Some refridgerants eat the seals on different compressors. You might consider keeping as much of the swapped AC system as you can. Some of the stock S30 stuff should work, but you'll need to make sure it's cleaned out. Compressor oil etc. The set it up with the new system. that is unless you can mount the Stock S30 compresson on your V8.

Thank you for your response.

Buying the correct compressor is a non-issue, its usually R-134 that will eat seals and hoses. Regardless I will make sure it is compatible with either refrigeration gas.

As stated earlier, I am using everything S30, minus the compressor. I do not have the stock S30 compressor nor would I use one anyway. Compressor tech has jumped quite a bit in terms of efficiency over the last few decades. Plus it would a royal pain to fad a bracket to use a S30 compressor on my LSx, especially the pulley.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

It's not overly cold at 110F, especially if you don't have a louver on the rear hatch glass. It will be just OK.

Hmm, you make a very good point.

I don't have the louvered cover on the rear glass, but I will be using 5% limo tenting on the rear glass and quarter windows and 45% door glass (I know its illegal). I shouldn't have to much trouble with the car already being hot since it is garaged. So I wouldn't be cooling down an already super hot car that's been baking in the sun, just keeping it cool for driving down the road.

Thanks again for the replies guys!!

I used to have a completely stock 76, and I remember the AC in it working very well. Never had any problems with it, and it kept the car quite comfortable. It's probably not as hot in NC as Bakersfield, but we have the humidity. I did have the rear glass tinted.

John

This is a video of mine blowing 30 deg with an outside temp of 100. I think it gets cold ok, just does not move the volume of air that the newer cars do. I put a nissan maxima blower motor in mine.

You can also put a relay so that high relay's to direct 12 from the batt. like Clifton did in his 7mgte 240z

As I recall, most of the A/C in early Z's were dealer installed. The name of the kit was "Factory Air" with the old piston type york compressors. Mine was terrible in Houston. Eventually, I had it replaced with a later style rotary compressor that worked lot better. I stupidly took it out to fit a large intake pipe. After this summer, I may put it back in.

if you can find one of those old York compressors, the Jeep guys love them for OBA.

YEah, okay if you're not worried about the compressor and the lube then go for it. I'd like to hear what you come up with, especially if you make the compressor be one from a 350Z... since that's the one I've got sitting on a box in my garage.

Phar