HybridZ

California 280Z owners...(other than '75)

dhp123166

If your Z miraculously became smog exempt or Arnold rolled exempt years forward like was supposed to be done a few years back, what would you do to your vehicle to increase performance and/ or eye appeal?

I mean everything, from mondo engine swaps to what you would delete or add in the engine bay preliminarily.

Thanks, and

Have a Blessed Day!!!

I know of a guy that smogged his up (believe it or not, Alaska has smog testing. Mine is far from being on the road). He said the tech glanced at the engine (like, 5 sec. :P) and just ran it on the sniffer.

You can try putting a new header/exhaust system without a cat. Most techs can't tell whether such an "old" car came with one :P. If they do ask where it is, just say that it never came with one or that you did an engine swap with and Federal model engine (Fed model never came with one :P).

I think I am sounding deliberately vague on this subject so I'll cut to the chase without cutting too obviously!!!

Let's say one has a 76-78 s-30 280z in the state of California and one has

always abided by the smog testing procedure both out the tailpipe and visually under the hood.

By some miracle if one no longer had to worry about passing the smog testing every two years, where would be a good place to start;

a: deleting various underhood hardware that is not vitally necessary

for optimal engine performance but it would look better without...

b: adding performance increasing hardware with the caveat that

+performance = -MPG.

For sake of discussion let us say that one already has the big conical air filter and headers as well.

I think this clarifies...

I think I am sounding deliberately vague on this subject so I'll cut to the chase without cutting too obviously!!!

Let's say one has a 76-78 s-30 280z in the state of California and one has

always abided by the smog testing procedure both out the tailpipe and visually under the hood.

By some miracle if one no longer had to worry about passing the smog testing every two years, where would be a good place to start;

a: deleting various underhood hardware that is not vitally necessary

for optimal engine performance but it would look better without...

b: adding performance increasing hardware with the caveat that

+performance = -MPG.

For sake of discussion let us say that one already has the big conical air filter and headers as well.

I think this clarifies...

augghhh the old smog issue... nice.... i have a zx 82 to be exact i know you asked s30 guys but i did some checking (when i got her and decided to go v8) and spoke with the dmv. per the rep if you swap to a different engine, that engine must provide the same smog requirements to pass if it was in said car it came out of.

meaning if you swap in a lt1 out of a camero/ vette/ impala that motor must meet the same smog standards in the z/zx as if it where in the above mentioned vehicles. the smog tech is supposed to provide you with a new under-the-hood sticker pertaining to the smog codes for that motor (for future smoging), i beleave.

there are various ways to walk around the law, as for me, im going to get a motor out of a smog exempt car like a 70's camero/firebird and slap on some modern componets ....heh heheee! that'll fix arnold blasted bs he laid down on the car guys!

please correct me if i am wrong, ca dmv employees are idiots... i take that back they can be idiots!

ps

this does not include state referree. they may see things differently

there are various ways to walk around the law, as for me, im going to get a motor out of a smog exempt car like a 70's camero/firebird and slap on some modern componets ....heh heheee! that'll fix arnold blasted bs he laid down on the car guys!

please correct me if i am wrong, ca dmv employees are idiots... i take that back they can be idiots!

ps

this does not include state referree. they may see things differently

You cannot legally swap an older motor into a newer model car. That includes installing modern components. The penalties a smog tech faces these days makes them very cautious of looking the other way.

Well, the way I'm getting around smog in my new '78 is by swapping a diesel in :D

Even then you get to deal with the wonderful BAR. Diesels 1998 and newer will be under the smog check rule starting January 2010.

While in Singapore a few years ago a taxi driver let me drive his turbo VW cab. Actually it was some sort of Czech licensed version. Anyway, the diesel in it was impressive with its power and pickup. I was thinking of importing one until I found this.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/05_Legislative/RegulatoryActions/dieselcoms1108.html

Well, considering it's an LD28, I don't think I have to worry about that cutoff either ;)

i'm pretty sure that it doesn't matter what engine you throw in. as long as it's a car that was made after 1975, it will need to pass smog. even if the engine doesn't need to pass smog, you'll have get it verified by the state referee.