HybridZ

Neatest Way To "Slot" The Strut Tower - Camber Plate Install - What Tool To Use?

Hi Gang – I will be installing camber plates this weekend on my ZX and was wondering the neatest way to “slot” the strut tower on the car or at least make the center hole larger so that you can adjust the plates once installed. What is the best tool to use to cut the sheet metal that will look professional and leave a clean finish? What are your experiences?

Many Thanks.

Yasin

Yasin, bolt a large piece of metal to the underside of the area you want to cut then use a hole saw offset to the original hole to create your "slot" the piece underneath will keep your holesaw turning true. Use a holesaw that is a hair smaller so you can file it out to make for a nicer finish.

Evan

Any changes you want to make need to be laid out with a scribe first. This will really help when finishing the slots to size and you'll be able to see what it's going to look like BEFORE you cut.

How long will the slots be?

1) IF the holes will be a drill dia. longer or more, I'd center drill then step drill a hole next to each existing hole and dremel/file to finish.

2) If the holes are only to be slotted a bit, lay it out and use 1/4" endmill in your dremel to rough it out then file to finish. The layout lines are your guide.

EDIT:

Sorry didn't get that you were cutting the cap out to replace with a plate. I have have excellent luck with my sawzall on stuff like this, but it is only as accurate as your layout and is also dependent on your eye/hand coordination!

Lay it out, rough it in with the Sawzall and file to finish!

Ahhh got it...need to find who in my town might sell these! Thanks John.

Yasin

ace hardware sells them i actually have 2 atm in their boxes they run $21 A peice but it takes serious effort to wear them out like grinding on molysteel. for a few hours cuts threw aluminum like butter excellent porting tool as well.

Oh and make sure the one your getting is for hard metals some carbide bits wear down on wood and aluminum... i learned that the hard way not reading the labels before i bought them