HybridZ

turbo question

I'm shopping turbos, and have read a bunch of the threads on this subforum.

I understand all the tech side of it on how to ensure there is enough CFM, choke points, all that jazz...but trying to track down an actual turbo for the application is a different game.

Not sure how to search on this one, so if it's been discussed, forgive me.

I'm finding a ton of diesel truck turbos. 6.0 to 7.3L's...

My question is, would the turbos off the diesel trucks make good ones for our application? Smaller turbos are a dime a dozen. But I don't really want to do a twin turbo set up. I found a turbo for a Mac truck. But I can't find any specs on it, although I'm sure that it puts out plenty...but I'm apprehensive.

thanks.

OH! And I'm FINALLY getting to start playing with my car! I actually got the engine completely tore down last night to a bare block. So next is off to the machine shop for some R&R. The inside of the engine was soooooo clean!! The cylinders still had cross thatch marks in them! Just makes me feel better knowing that I'm starting with a good foundation.

I am too shopping for a turbo. If your budget allows it, go with the Garrett GT35R with a .63 a/r hot side. What I have come to pick out is a knock off ball bearing GT35 from CXRacing. I would stay away from diesel turbo's (although plenty of people run them) because diesel engines burn way cooler than petrol. Those diesel turbo's have a faster failure rate when applied to a petrol engine. Good luck on the hunt! Also what setup are you going with? This could play a large part in your decision.

Adam Silver

Thanks for the information. My budget is quickly dwindling. You know the story...nickel dime time. So I'm shopping for a used turbo...hopefully on the cheaper side.

My setup? Well, it's changed a little over time. But here's what I am currently trying to build.

1995 LT1 w/ police package.

30 over forged dish pistons

Forged stroker crank

hydrolic roller/rocker set up

cam model still undecided....was going for a very big cam, but not what you want for a FI set up. Need less overlap. (recommendations are welcome! I am looking for something that still hits hard LATE to allow time to get off the line.)

was going 125hp shot nitrous, but have decided to go FI, so selling nitrous set up.

still deciding on headers vs rams horn ex. man....

But I am going to be doing this turbo set up as a remote ( rear mount) set up.

What I have come to pick out is a knock off ball bearing GT35 from CXRacing.

Coming from the Z32TT world, if I learned anything about turbos, it's not to buy cheap knockoffs from companies who primarily vend through ebay. Catastrophic failure is usually the end result. Turbos spin in excess of 100k rpms... you want to know that they are machined, assembled, and balanced properly. And reputable name brands can help ensure that.

Coming from the Z32TT world, if I learned anything about turbos, it's not to buy cheap knockoffs from companies who primarily vend through ebay. Catastrophic failure is usually the end result. Turbos spin in excess of 100k rpms... you want to know that they are machined, assembled, and balanced properly. And reputable name brands can help ensure that.

Not to be a downer but I would have to agree... you get what you pay for...

If I was in the market for a new turbo I would probably go for the

t3/t67 H.O. by garrett...

It's a $500 turbo that is said to be computer balanced. I really have been wanting a ball bearing turbo, but one in my price range has been very difficult to find. I might end up going for a Turbonetics 60 series turbo. They run about $750 so I think the extra $250 will be much worth it although it is not a ball bearing turbo.

Stay away from ebay cheapo turbos they are a ticking time bombs. One of my friends bought a ebay turbo. When he got it we took it to a local turbo shop. It was way out of balance, and the seals inside were installed incorrectly. They told him he may want to get it rebalanced and rebuilt. He ended up spending more to make the ebay cheapo worth while than he would have buying the real turbo from the beginning. His lasted/lasts(he has sold the car) So you can use them with no problems as long as you just get it rebuilt/rebalanced. But he wishes he did it right the first time and bought the real deal. Here is some examples below

http://www.sx4club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6454

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=136780

this tread is an ok starting point..but i see you are going the V8 route and that thread is pretty much all L6 but it shows what most the guys use...

as for the diesel turbos...most of the guys here use the HY35 that should be a good match since you see little civics pushing them hard but it looks like we have heat issues...but since your going V8 you would want the reliable

HX35 which is the 12cm version (i believe) alot of DSM/ford guys run those...

As for me, when i do decide to upgrade i plan of searching the HY35 a bit more...There is tons of info on the hx but little on the hy. I would like to see if there is anyone out there that has ran it without blowing seals ect. If i dont feel comfortable with the reliablity after searching then i will just suck it up and go the GT35.

I just picked out my turbo! It is a Slow Boy Racing turbo (great people there slowboyracing.com) and they modeled it after the Garrett GT30. It has T3 with a stage 3 wheel with journal bearings. My friend is running one on his KA and loves it. And they are selling it to me for $675.00 shipped! Good luck picking a turbo!

Thanks for the information. My budget is quickly dwindling. You know the story...nickel dime time. So I'm shopping for a used turbo...hopefully on the cheaper side.

My setup? Well, it's changed a little over time. But here's what I am currently trying to build.

1995 LT1 w/ police package.

30 over forged dish pistons

Forged stroker crank

hydrolic roller/rocker set up

cam model still undecided....was going for a very big cam, but not what you want for a FI set up. Need less overlap. (recommendations are welcome! I am looking for something that still hits hard LATE to allow time to get off the line.)

was going 125hp shot nitrous, but have decided to go FI, so selling nitrous set up.

still deciding on headers vs rams horn ex. man....

But I am going to be doing this turbo set up as a remote ( rear mount) set up.

I would look at master power t70's and borg warner s400's. Both can be had for ~700 new.

You'll need 2 of just about anything that's used on an L6 in order to not choke the motor.

• 2 weeks later...

Went back, and the GT45 was by autochrome...a company I've been reading a lot of bad stuff about. So that's a no-go.

I'm torn here though. I found a complete set up for a D series honda engine. Don't laugh yet.

Hybrid T3/T4 capable up to 1200 HP. Complete with intercooler, BOV, downpipe, exhaust manifold, wastegate...everything. Granted I won't be able to USE some of it, but I could turn around and sell what I don't need and regain some of the money to use towards the proper piping and stuff.

$400 for that, or the HX60 by it's self maxing out at 600HP for $500...

??!! Too many choices and decisions...maybe I should have just stuck with the nitrous!! LOL!!