HybridZ

How to build a rotisserie for your Z

I think a bit more planning wouldn't have gone astray when I built my Rotisserie!

I used two 900kg engine stands and measured, on uneven ground the heights at both ends, it worked, but the front is slightly higher than the front!

It's not a lot of fun to rotate the car once the car is upside down thats when it turns into a two man job to flip it back over :-)!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I was reading all the Mats for this project that I have to purchase but I quiet confused. Can someone please chime in.

Can someone please explain this part:

file.php?id=2124

On the length note did mentioned 3-5 ft, 3-4 ft what does it means? Does it means I can purchase 3 feet of metal or 5 feet of metal? I' confused on that part but other than that. I think I am good to go.

-Voravit

Thanks for the clarification.

One question, I just noticed...how do I attach the rear mount? Through the hatch? or under the body? I don't see where I could attach bolt to the rotisserie from the rear.

hummmmmmm...

Edited*

Ok found a picture from the member, how did he mounted like this? He drilled/weld on the bumper?

picture_00413.jpg

Got my quote what do you guys think? It seems like a good deal.

Trm ****CASH**** Qtd 13Aug09 Qte Ref

Frt WILL CALL Via 530U FOB

Tel 000-000-0000 Fax 000 000-0000 Ctc -------------------------

Slp MICHAEL WESTERMEYER

================================================================================

Q U O T A T I O N QT No: HOU RS-363300

1 SQUARE TUBING A500 GR B 2 PCS 172 LBS

2 X 2 X .188 X 20'

MATERIAL 2 PCS @ 59.6600 EA 119.32

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 SQUARE TUBING A500 GR B 1 PCS 112 LBS

2-1/2 X 2-1/2 X .188 X 20'

MATERIAL 1 PCS @ 77.3800 EA 77.38

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 ANGLE A-36 1 PCS 23 LBS

1" X 1" X 3/16" X 20'

MATERIAL 1 PCS @ 15.2400 EA 15.24

4 HOT ROLLED STRIP COMMERCIAL QUALITY 1 PCS 19 LBS

3/16 X 1 1/2 X 20' 20 FT

MATERIAL 20 FT @ .5700 FT 11.40

5 HOT ROLLED STRIP COMMERCIAL QUALITY 1 PCS 19 LBS

3/16 X 1 1/2 X 20'

MATERIAL 1 PCS @ 11.3100 EA 11.31

6 HOT ROLLED STRIP COMMERCIAL QUALITY 1 PCS 26 LBS

3/16 X 2 X 20'

MATERIAL 1 PCS @ 16.3500 EA 16.35

UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED, ALL QUOTATIONS ARE GOOD

FOR 7 DAYS. ALL MATERIALS ARE SUBJECT TO

AVAILABILITY AND PRIOR SALE.

Order Totals: 6 Items 371 LBS

********************************************************************************

Material Processing Freight Other Taxes ORDER AMT

251.00 20.67 271.67

********************************************************************************

Taxes: TX1 15.69 TXHO 2.49 TXHOMT 2.49 0.00

The wonderful thing about an early z is they are very light. 400-500 lbs stripped I did not stress too much over alot of things for this first try, because the margin for error is so large. The other thing about a rotisserie is you should never need to be under the car, so there is very little chance of me getting hurt.

I took 2 harbor freight 750# engine stands. I cut them with a Milwalkee Port a Band about half way up. I bought some 4x1/4x24" plate at lowe's and I had some tubing at the house. I raised the rotating hub to about 48 or so inches off the floor to make sure a larger car had room to spin. I bought some casters from harbor freight so I can roll into the yard for media blasting or load it on a trailer if neccessary. I had an old rectangular trampoline frame that some one gave me and I cut that up to make the attachment bars and to brace the stands. I also welded up a tube that runs from stand to stand. I welded 1/2x13 nuts on the top of the stand's front leg centered over a hole for bolts to hold the stand togethor.

When I welded things up I leveled the forward leg with a bottle jack I clamped things togethor and leveled the hub with a torpedo level. I also plumbed the vertical scab plates with the level.

I filled the space between the plates with some 1 1/2 x 1/2 thin wall tube I had laying around. The brackets for the car have a round 2" tube. I used muffler clamps 2 on each end. I would raise one end tighten the clamps, then raise the other. I will eventually make a threaded rod adjuster that can raise the car using an impact wrench. I designed a rotisserie on my computer but after steel got so expensive I had to improvise. Wheels, wleding wire and all I have about $350 in this one not counting the trampoline frame.

The balance point for the car is 2-3" above the center line of the bumpers. I will say this, I used tube to come end where the front bumper brackets mount. I used 60mm bolts 10mmx1.25 (i think) to mount those to the car. They are pretty sturdy. The back bumper mounts on the car flex alot more and I will probably fab a bracket that can be added to mount to the diff bolts to help with the load.

Wow... that got long. There is more detail than that but ask questions so I don't ramble anymore.

021_thumb.JPG

022_thumb.JPG

023_thumb.JPG

024_thumb.JPG

025_thumb.JPG