HybridZ

seats

cameraobsess

With enough creativity you can swap in any seats you want. I got three 91 prelude Si seats for $200. They are totally dope. The driver's side seat has adjustable lumbar support AND ADJUSTABLE SIDE BOLSTERS! It's awesome icon_smile.gif you spin this knob and the bolsters squeeze down on your sides as tight as you want. It has a micro-fine tilt adjuster and a memory setting for the seat-back angle. I use the third seat to sit in and ponder in my garage icon_wink.gif

Guest Anonymous

Yeah another pretty cool seat comes in some volkswagens, they're made by recaro (I think in the jetta, but I'm not sure). I used Miata seats which work fine, they're narrow and reasonably comfortable, but for a bigger guy like me the side bolsters are a little narrow. Lots of good seats out there, at prices way below the aftermarket stuff.

Regards,

Lone

I have a set of Eclipse seats in my car now. Look like new with black sides and back and a charcoal center section. They have adjustable lumbar and set me back only $50 for the pair. I have a set of Talon sport seats that are even nicer since they have adjustable thigh support as well, but the color doesn't goes as good. The front "foot" on the rail lines up with the stock holes, but you have to cut the rear foot off and weld a stud on the rear of the track, but then it bolts through the stock hole as well. I'm 6' tall and they fit me pretty well. If you are any taller you might bump your head FWIW.

Guest Anonymous

I got two 90+ 300ZX seats in my garage thats waiting to go in, adding some modern lazy man electric seats to my cave man 72 seats. You can put almost anything but u will have to be creative, do some modifications, and maybe even a little welding. The older Z seats arent body huggers and I like that feel when comming out of a corner and ur still stuck to the seat.

Julius, this does not answer your questions, sorry, but just to add to the rest of the thread, the leather seats that come in the Dodge Challengers/Chargers (FWD Turbos) are VERY nice! I wonder if they can be adapted to the Z? Hmmm...

Davy

seats are seats, they dont know where they came from. just grab a set from the jy with as much of the brackets as possible, and bolt them in, some are harder than others... some seat brackets come out with four bolts, like 280z's and integra gsrs, and most hondass.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, Leonards right, if you can build a hybrid, the seats are a piece of cake. The important measurement is the width of the bottom of the seat (and side bolsters on the back if they stick out a long ways) otherwise it'll touch the console and still hit the door. Most of the smaller compact seats (and even some in bigger cars) will fit without to much concern. You may have to either fit the stock Z rails from the old seat (how I did it) onto the seats, or just make new mounting holes on the datsun seat supports or in extreme cases maybe at most a few pieces of metal to connect the new seat rail with the old Datsun supports.

You might consider height too, mine had to have a spacer and clearance can become a issue with the stock Datsun steering wheel and your legs, and also your head if your tall and want to race it with a helmet on. Just some considerations to think about.

Get out there fellow junkyard doggies and scavange!

Regards,

Lone

Well, some seats have really funky offset or mounts that are different levels, like the ones in my 200sx (shiver), I could never get decent seats into that car, and I'm glad it's long gone.

The main concern I have with adapting just any seats is the amount of space they take from floorpan to my butt. I am of the tall variety, so headroom is always a concern. I know Craig Borden swapped his seats several times before finally going back to stock, because he just didn't have enough headroom...of course he's what, 6'4"?!? icon_rolleyes.gif

Davy

Guest Martin Richelsoph

I pulled a pair of 1984 or 85 300ZX seats out of a 280Z at local "you pull it" junk yard. They were just bolted in like stock! Price $10 each and all they need is fresh fabric. (The old fabric is intact but dirty.) They have a pump-up leg bolster on the driver's seat and adjustable headrests on both.

> i need to put new seats in a 240z and i want to

> spend the least amount of money posible

Go to Target and buy a couple lawn chairs. I did that with a $10 1961 Ford Falcon I was driving around. Worked great until I went around a corner too fast and fell into the passenger side. That night I used some long sheet metal screws and attached the chair to the floor board.

I had to install a real seat after a cop pulled me over and wouldn't let me drive the car home. He about crapped his pants from laughing when he walked up to the car and saw me sitting in this aluminum lawn chair with yellow webbing.

Guest Anonymous

I almost crapped myself laughing just reading this.. thats hilarious. Hey, maybe a chaise lounge with the pedals mounted on the end... haha.. icon_biggrin.gif

Regards,

Lone

ROTFL!! icon_biggrin.gif

That's the funniest visual I've had today--I'm still laughing. Man, and I thought we were young & dumb when we lined a buddy's '56 Ford pickup bed with plastic and filled it with water for use as a passenger hot tub while driving icon_biggrin.gif ! lol

John, you had us beat by mile! That's pure Car Craft material for sure icon_biggrin.gif

Davy

Davy,

We did that too with a friends K2500! I was floating on a raft and got washed over the tailgate when he took off from a stop sign. Luckily I landed on the raft and the girls in the car behind us waited for me to jump back into the truck. Needless to say, I didn't impress them one bit.