HybridZ

No more VG for me I need Inline 6 advice

RKLamb123

Hello guys I am new here and I was on another site and suggest I come here. I have a Z32 2+2 and I was doing the TT swap. Well after rebuilding the block, cleaning and shaving heads, and buying all kinds of new parts I decided I am just tired of the VG engine especially in my small engine bay. Well after looking at many engines and prices I have narrowed it down to the 2jz and the Rb25. So I would just like to know what you guys think and the pros and cons. I have been on the RB site and there was no usual info there and I been on a few other. Either engine looks like a winner in my bay. So Im selling all my current parts and going for one of them. So tell me all I need to know and expect.

Honestly, if you're not like me and want to have a nissan engine in your nissan get the 2J. Its just a bit better engine. I have a RB25 in my girlfriends drift car built to 400+hp and I'm building another one for my Z but in the end I know that the 2J is just a bit better engine than the 25. More displacement, more parts support, especially stateside, and I honestly think it can support more HP in stock form.

Yeah we are thinking the same. I figure the RB would be easier as far as wiring and fit. But there is no denying the potential of that 2j. I can get the rb25 for 1800 with 5 speed trans. Then I figure I would take the bellhousing off and mount it to my Z32 trans. Then I would just sell the RB trans and get back some money and do some upgrades. At that point the only issue I would have is the oil pan from what I read. Now as far as the 2j 1500 without trans. Sell my Z trans which is rebuilt with no shifting issues of any kind. Get a 5 speed. Then just do some of the fabbing I read up on. The RB seems to be the easiest but the 2j seems to be easier than doing a LS2 and some of the V8 I have looked at.

• 2 weeks later...

What matters to you with motor selection? If it's all about that big number at the very end of the graph than by all means get the 2J motor, it's practically designed for it. If you're looking for lots of power under the curve and still want a big number, well a 6 may not be for you. If you want a lighter weight motor (if you look at all the engine weights here the 2J is a boat anchor plus a few pounds) than I'd go with the RB. Ultimately it's all about how you build it but In my opinion you see 2J's in more drag racing and RB's in more road racing applications for a reason...

Mainly I want something easier to maintain than a VG30dett. Since 2005 I have only driven the car for a total of 2 week and Im on my third engine. I said man I dont want another engine I cant change heads or replace turbos in the bay ever again. I want something over 400hp. Cut off for me is right at 500. I thought about the VH. Which would probably be the cheapest but I want 400+. I dont think I can get that on those without going inside or charging it some kind of way.

I'll agree with that, the VG is, in my opinion, the most under rated motor Nissan has made. They set a majority of their records and won a bunch of races on that platform for a reason: It's a good motor. 400 hp shouldn't be a problem with any of those motors (VH or VG included) and I'm quite sure that 50hp/cylinder shouldn't hurt a stock nissan VH45. All that said, the more power you try and force through a smaller motor means that it's going to be more labor intensive. That's just my .02

Yeah the VG is great for power but I hat working on those jokers. I want one turbo or none or at least be some where that I can get them off without pulling the whole dog gone engine. My last two engine were over 400 but the maintenance on them is no joke. Most shops want touch a Z. I use to work at firestone and they refuse to do the timing belt on it. In fact they refuse to do timing on all Nissan V engine but especially the Z.

Hmm, Compared to a VW New Beetle, I'll take the Z32. Any company that recommends pulling basically the entire front subframe (inner fenders included) with the motor attached just to change the timing belt is spastic. There was nothing on that car that was easy to work on, hell you have to pull the battery, and maybe the airbox if you're less flexible than me to get to the drivers side headlights.

ANYWHO, back to the topic at hand...

If you decide to go RB, I think you'll probably be a little disappointed if you're looking for anything that sees the streets. The RB has a super short stroke and was built as a touring car motor that sees lots of RPM's and isn't dragging around the *relative* lead sled that is the Z32. It's not going to have the bottom end grunt to pull you off the line the VG will and even though you may see bigger numbers at the top end, I think you'll find it will have a less midrange and bottom end.

If you wanna do all the work to get an RB30 I think you'll recoup a lot of that but I've never ridden in or dealt with the RB30 conversions so I really cant tell you exactly how they behave.

A JZ, if you don't do the massive, unstreetable turbo that makes the cool ____/ powerband, should give more drivability but you should probably measure up to make sure it's still within the work you want to do to ram that motor in there because it's big.

I personally think that with the Z32, swaps are less common just because of the size of the engine bay, or lack thereof. With the VG it already looks like the shrink-wrapped the car around the motor, so putting anything bigger (demensionally) into the car would require a substantial amount of work.

Yeah i was thinking about the VH but that joker is bigger than a the VG and hence probably harder to work on in the cockpit. I have seen a few RBs and 2Js in different Zs and they have way more room to work with. You are right about the RB torque but I figure if I can get it just over 400 that would be just as good a a VG running about the same or less.

Personal preference would be in this order... VG>RB>VH>JZ. But if your main concern is making it a lot easier to work on then it would be between the RB/JZ.

One thing many people dont consider is dropping in the SOHC VG motor in Z32s....its much easier to work on and a significantly lighter engine. The bottom end is nearly as strong and can still see 450-500HP reliably with out any internal work.

• 1 month later...