HybridZ

BAD NEWS on CA emissions

Tim240z

OK folks, just got off the phone with C.A.R.B. and here is the bad news.

The rules that apply to 74 and newer vehicles also apply to older ones.

- Engines changes must be kind for kind, so a passenger car engine must be replaced by a passenger car engine, light truck for light truck etc.

- The engine must be California certified.

- The engine must be from the same year or newer as the one it is replacing, nad must retain any and all originally supplied smog equipment.

- I asked whether the only way this would get caught was if the driver was stopped at a remote sensing station, and the answer was NO! Apparently, when the vehicle is registered, you are to inform the DMV of the engine change and they will tell you to go to an inspection station, where all this will be checked out. Following that the vehicle is subject to regular smog checks.

I asked her if ANY exemptions from this exists...SHE said no!

I find this hard to swallow, and I feel that the CARB rep. was in error. I cannot find any citations in the California Code of Regulations (CA Vehicle Code specifically) to back up her assertions. I am going to continue my search until I find an exemption somewhere.

I will keep you all posted.

Tim

Hi Tim,

I think the rep. is right. The law here in CA. said that any kind of engine swap needs to be certified by a Ref. station. regarless of the year. However, new legislation allows 73 and older vehicles to be exempted from smog check (in 2004 this law will apply to any vehicle that's 30 yrs. or older). So, you only get into trouble if you're caught with your 240 which I don't think is going to happen. Tim, just enjoy the Z and worry about it when it does happen.

Huy

My understanding of the law (regulation rather) was in line with what you said. The safest is bet is to swap in an LT1/LS1. If you want, you can get it inspected and approved. I say "if you want" because I don't know what chance they would have of catching you if you didn't.

BTW, I don't think you have keep the catalysts if your car didn't come with them. Other than that you have to use a stock engine from a newer car with all emissions equip intact. weird.gif

Hi all,

Well at least the moble smog vans wont be along the onramps for a few years.

That bill was killed smile.gif in Nov of last year due to lack of budget after Sept 11.

And thats for all of CA!!!!!

Thats about the only good thing Grey Davis malebitchslap.gif has done!!

So we are safe for a while.

Last summer I was pulled into one of those "road side smog checks" non volentary!

I have had no repercussions from it from DMV or AQMD.

It was quite obvious that the inline 6 was no longer there.

Dave flamedevil.gif

here is the link to the killing of the roadside smog checks.

http://www.geocities.com/smogrfg/remotesensing/rsdprocure.html

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/1223/

Also go and read some of the stuff in the above site.

This guy is a BIG lobbier for non smog for our cars.

He spends a lot f time in court fighting for us and our rights.

Our biggest consern is the car crushing laws that are being drawn up.

Go check out his site......

Ya.....

Dave

malebitchslap.gif

On the smog check issue, we seem to be concentrating on the products of combustion emissions and their associated controls, however, for those of us (me included), who have modified our fuel storage systems (I have installed a fuel cell), these get checked also for fugitive VOC emissions. I know mine won't pass, even though I plan to install an activated carbon canister to the vent tube to control vapors. The fill hole on the cell will not allow the phase II vapor recovery system on the gas station pumps to capture 95% of the fugitive emissions as mandated by CARB!

I guess I am just going to drive it and cross my fingers!

Tim

As your constructing your rear panel.. try to cover the fuel cell so it will be less

likly to be seen.... Just an idea..

Dave

No Way Man....F@#%! em all. THE MAN will never catch me! Me and the Z will go out in a blaze of glory. I bet I make CNN!!

Hmmmm...I'm gonna need nitrous, ground to air missiles, grenades, gas mask, run flat tyres, and a fully automatic rifle!

2thumbs.gif J/K (in case any of you guys thought I was seriously disturbed).

Tim malebitchslap.gif

Hummmm.

Tim,

Remember the tag that rivited to the side of my car.. drivers door..

Was that a CARB thing??????

Wonder if it was smog related and how long ago?

Dave

Guest Anonymous

There's a lot of misconception when it comes to the current SMOG regulations in CA.

Basically, it's as follows: (the rep you spoke with was correct)

1965-1974 MY vehicles are exempt from smog CHECKS, but not smog REGULATION. There's succint difference there. In simple terms, this means you no longer have to succumb to the bi-annual smog check, but you are still required (i.e. supposed) to keep all emissions related equipment INSTALLED. Of course without a regular smog check, it becomes more difficult for them to find you in violation of this, but if they do catch you (knock on wood), you will be sent to a smog referee for inspection and will be required to make necessary repairs to be in compliance, and must succumb to annual smog checks from then on. i.e. you are no longer exempt from the check.

If you want to swap engines in any pollution controlled car (MY1966+), there are a few rules:

- Engines must be of like build. i.e. passenger car engines for passenger cars, truck engines for trucks.

- The engine must be the same year/build or NEWER than the original engine.

- The new engine must be certified by a smog referee, who upon inspection will issue a certificate that validates that particular swap, thus making it legal. From then on, the smog rules will apply for that model year of the ENGINE, not the car.

- Any emission related equipment from the engine being swapped MUST be installed into the car. i.e. If you're swapping an '00 LS1 into your '71 240Z, you need ALL of the emissions related equipment from the Corvette, including CATS, smog pumps, EGR valves, etc....

This is all from memory, so I may be a bit off, but I think you can get the idea. If you want a new engine, it's fine, just remember to swap all of the smog related crap as well. Then, get it certified. Remember, 1966-1973 cars are exempt from CHECKs, not REGULATION.

Tim,

This is pretty muh inline with what the JTR manual says right?

That's why I went over such a fuss putting on my Random Technology catalytic converter (super high flow). My engine is a truck engine and 4 years older than the car...no pass, no way. I'm not even gonna try to get it certified.

The Random Cat is just a gamble that I'll be able to roll through a mobile smog check. If I get stopped for any other reason and am told to pop the hood...well...I'll deal with it then!

Plus, we went through this before...what PART of the engine is applicable? My block is older, the manifold and heads are brand new. What are they gonna do, average the ages?

Anyone know how to modify the casting numbers on the block???

OWen

Guest Grampa Les

If "Kit" type cars are exempt - or at least some are-- how much modification is required ? Say I put 240 front end on the 280. Do I have a kit car, that is not subject to the every two year thing ?

Guest Big Phil

What if you own an old street rod? If I put a 98 corvette motor in a 32 ford does it have to pass 1998 emissions? If you follow the letter of the law, every souped up street rod in Cali is illegal because hot rodders never retain the stock smog emissions.

Phil