HybridZ

LD28 water pump install - Question for those who have done this modification

ktm

I am rebuilding my engine now and am installing a LD28 water pump based on discussions in this thread: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=125186&page=3

I know I have to trim off the little piece in order for the pump to fit, but I had to trim nearly 1/2-in., not the 1-4-in. stated. The problem I encountered were the LD28 impellers kept hitting the timing cover sidewalls due to the shape of the spiral.

How much did anyone else have to trim in order for the pump to fit? Now is the time for me to make any corretion such as getting a new cover and using the standard L28 pump. My concern is that the pump may not function correctly with so much cut. I cut just enough for the impellers to clear and no more.

• 3 years later...

I searched and cannot find any further details on installing the pump in a L28 front cover. Is the install of the pump as simple as placing the LD28 gasket up to the timing cover and removing the exposed material down to the bottom of the pump housing? By material, I mean the extended tip of the water guide, as deep as it extends to the back of the pump chamber?

No mods to the LD28 pump itself....

I am running the LD pump on my car right now. You will have to trim about 1/2" off the cover. Take a look at the LD pum, and trim the cover to fit the pump. If you had the LD gasket it would be a great template for you. I can describe the part well, but the last part of the cover with the stepped portion in the cover needs to be removed. I may have a picture, mail me at mtjeffzx1@att.net if you would like to see what I did.

• 6 months later...