HybridZ

Fiberglass ducting for intercooler piping?

Zmanco

I got the idea to use this ducting from McMaster from Matt Cramer's blog.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#5499k244/=38oy3y

What do you think of it? The temp and max pressure seem fine for my application (target 15 psi boost or so). The only thing is the ability to withstand vacuum. It seems that there could be conditions (perhaps transitioning from a high rpm downshift with the throttle closed and then suddenly opening it) where there might be significant vacuum in front of the throttle plate. Should I be concerned about this?

I was planning on 2 1/4" if I went with typical Al pipe and silicon hoses, so was thinking of going a size up with this since it's not as smooth inside. Does that make sense, or should I just stay with 2 1/4"?

Personally I wouldn't use it for I/C tubing. I am an aircraft mechanic and that tubing comes in many different forms. It usually ends up coming apart ( especially when it has a liner) when exposed to fuel/ oil. It is rated for pressure in most cases, but it will definitely start coming apart when exposed to vacuum in a larger size like 2.5", smaller sizes not so much. It would be OK to use it to couple I/C pipes together. Also, I would be leary of the quality control of a consumer rated product as compared to aircraft grade which is much more $$$.

I don't understand how you can use that much carbon fiber in an engine bay, and then have to use duct tap to seal it!

In regards to the fiber glass tubing, max pressure looks good, but is the vacuum rating large enough?

I find when I am just idling around that my boost gauge reads down around 10 to 20psi in vacuum.

Most cars I've tuned/datalogged idle around 20 in/hg. In my Datsun, if I keep it in gear from a high(er) speed run and engine brake I see around 25 in/hg.

But you have to realize these vacuum measurmenst I posted above are in the intake manifold, and where you would be using this tubing essentially between the turbo/supercharger and the throttle body (left out inter/aftercoolers for simplicity), and would never see this high of vacuum there.

AUDI1.JPG

L-DG83-11.jpg

here is an example of a Quattro S2 in the old group B days..

Kevlar and carbon fiber piping!!

I dont see any reason why you cant wax up a steel pipe.. lay the sleeve over.. epoxy... dry.. slide the sleeve off!!

Composites%20Fiberglass%20Sleeve.jpg

one or two layers of fiberglass with an outside of kevlar or carbon?!! perfect!!

i know why, because if the pipe has any curves at all, you wont get the pipe out. the best way to do this would be to use something like aquapour to make a negative of the pipe, then lay up a carbon sock like the one pictured above, and use the neutralizer for the aquapour to melt it all out.

• 2 months later...
foam could work, but you would have to find something that would prevent the plastic from melting when the resin cures. waxed aluminum foil may work

This is a non-starter. Any pressure rated piping should be constructed out of Epoxy Resin, not polyester. That takes away just about any foam incompatibility. You could use the styrofoam coolers cut up with epoxy resin. Epoxy is also fuel resistant...

As for melting it out, depending on the foam used MEK or even Gasoline will work. Same as when you make a car body or boat or anything else out of composite foam construction...simple solvent will get rid of the foam buck once you are all laid up and done. Making air cleaners for triples is a good example (with integral air horns...)

As stated above, there won't be any appreciable vacuum in the piping...you are talking maybe inches of water column. I get into this all the time with compressor people worried their intake ducting will collapse if the air filter plugs and the inlet vacuum goes too high... Inlet to the turbo MAYBE there you have some vacuum (then again, only the filter restriction at highest flow...) but between the turbo and the throttle plate, I'm betting you will have positive pressure almost all the time relative to atmospheric once the car is running.

If you want pressure rated piping, lay it up correctly and vacuum bag it with some of the UV or Heat Cured Epoxy Resins. Have a friend in the USAF take home some batch storage defunct resisn kits. Not that I would have ever done that...:icon56: