HybridZ

Mercedes Throttle body

Arif

I received an education when I watched my L6 on the dyno. Velocity is more important than flow. My L6 3.0L is currently making over 300hp using a 60mm TWM TB. I also saw an LMP 675 3.0L VQ motor making 450+ horsepower through a 40mm restrictor.

Careful about going too big on the throttle body.

i may be wrong but i believe volume of air either forced in or sucked in (NA) is what will makes power. so even though its the same displacement... bigger valves or more valves, big cams, bigger turbo (more volume not PSI) is what makes the difference. the hard part is matching all this stuff up so it works good. if its running a restrictor they are trying to limit the HP. If they had a bigger throttle body on it it would allow a larger volume of air to move thru the manifold making more power. .. DO i have my terminolgy right guys?

True to some degree but sometimes we forget about inertia. If we can keep the mass of air going into (and out of) the combustion chamber moving at a high rate of speed then we don't have the delays associated with accelerating that mass of air. That mass moving at speed also dampens reversion which tends to slow down or stop the mass of moving air.

Great post. John made a good point about velocity and the velocity created by a forced induction engine makes the need for a huge TB less critical. I personally think a modded L28ET is just fine with a 60mmTB. A stock GN uses a 57mm and I am using a 62mm. Many high HP GNs are still using the stock TB. I went for the modded TB not for the extra size alone but because it also has mods to help maintain the velocity such as cleaning up the bore, knife-edging the throttle blade, moving the screws out of the airflow, etc.

Those mods sound minor but they are effective. When upgrading the L28ET to a larger TB, if the intake is not properly port matched, it will defeat the purpose of going to a larger TB. The bigger the TB, the more porting has to be done to make the increased bore effective.

DAW - the only plausible reason I can come up with is the way the air bypass is routed differently on the turbo setup. Also, the turbo has an automatic idle control, and the Weber allows a manual idle setting.

I'm not letting MSA's recommendation keep me from installing it!!!

Ok I knew I should of gottten an engineering degree instead of accounting dagree :D So then let me back up and ask wether I will see a noticeable gain going from a 300ZX (55mm) TB and upgrading to the Mercedes (66.7mm)unit? I know I will have to bore out the intake to get the benefits of greater flow. Also, what would be the downside of a TB that is too big for an application? loss of HP, TQ?? Educate a poor accountant!!

I can't say whether you will see a noticable gain or not. Some folks have done this conversion so I guess they would be the best ones to reply.

Going out on a limb with an uneducated opinion - If that's the only change you make to the motor I think you'll be disappointed. If that change is made in conjunction with other modifications then you might be happy.

In the late 80's Hot Rod did an article testing several bolt on parts for a 5.7L FI Camaro. They went to a larger TB, and made several other changes. They did not replace the computer or anything in the engine. They tested each combination on the dragstrip, and everything they did actually slowed the car down. They theorized that the TB was optimized to the engine as it was and without porting the mainifold and heads, the larger TB, etc. did not make any difference.