HybridZ

I now own an Antiqe car

Guest Rolling Parts

Guest Rolling Parts

Just an observation, but parts for L6 engines are getting awfully scarce. Autozone stores did not have chain guides in their computer at all and Oreily could only locate one. Online sources have them but shipping/handling is almost as much as the parts.

Last month I needed a turbo to downpipe gasket and only the dealer had it (and the dealer's computer showed only 5 in the USA).

Sooo...

The most produced sportscar in the world is now relegated to being an odd antique.

This is what happens when we get such reliable cars!

But seriously, It is sad. Unfortunately, Like jeff said, auto parts is a business (and a big one at that) and it's much more lucrative for them to prop up all the SUV's coming out of Detroit rust city than it is to help us Z owners out.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Good taste is a rarity these days ;)

stories like this make me glad I know the guy I do :P

Basically every private shop within an hour of here has him on speed dial for hard to find parts. Like the 8.5" brake boosters for a '73. Never knew how rare they were till I needed a new one. Couldn't find one (new or used in ok condition) over about a week of searching, called him up, and three hours later he's getting one completely unused mailed down from sacramento (maybe 3hrs away).

I'm almost afraid to ask if he knows where any HKS surge tanks are, since he'll probably find some :P

Guest Rolling Parts

It just made me think that I' d better start getting some critical L6 engine parts NOW if I intend to keep driving the cars I have with the L6's every day. If I can't get good wear items, I'll have to drive those cars only on weekends.

Time to order some spare sets of bearings, rings and timing chain while I'm thinking about it...

• Administrators
It just made me think that I' d better start getting some critical L6 engine parts NOW if I intend to keep driving the cars I have with the L6's every day. If I can't get good wear items, I'll have to drive those cars only on weekends.

Time to order some spare sets of bearings, rings and timing chain while I'm thinking about it...

Or you could Hybridize your car with something a little more modern :mrgreen:

Guest Rolling Parts
Or you could Hybridize your car with something a little more modern :mrgreen:

Some are already chaned, but I want to keep 2 of the Z's with the L6 "just because". It's just a shocker to see an engine made for almost 15 years in one of the most popular imports in history become something of an oddity at the parts counter.

Update: I tried NAPA today and it was the same story of "not available" for the timing chain guides. NAPA?

On the non-technical side, this is an interesting subject.

I bought my Z, a 1972, in 1979. It was my first car and I was 17 years old when I bought it. I just turned 47 last week. My Z is now over 37 years old and I grew up around and own antique cars like Model T Fords. .

It is interesting to think about the kind of cars that were 37 years old when my Z was built: 1935. The "antique cars" of those days were things like Model T, A and B Fords. In fact, the Model T had only been out of production for 8 years in 1935. Seems funny to think of our sleek, sexy Z cars in that antique crowd, but that does seem to be the case according the general auto parts world.

That being said, I can by a brand new, reproduction gas tank for any of the Model Ts I own, but I cannot buy a brand new reproduction gas tank for my Z!

Oh, the injustice!

BTW, I really do need a good '72 240 gas tank if you now where I could get one.

Here's to the Z Car Antique Nationals

You should be able to get a timing chain kit, which will come with the guides. If you're going to go to the work to replace the guides, you may as well do the chain and what not too. I got a kit from a friend of mine who runs a VW shop, but he ordered it up from one of the wholesale suppliers....I forget the name but can find out for you if you want. Any parts store should be able to order the kit if the guy at the desk tries to do it and isn't too lazy.

Greg