HybridZ

We are headed to England

dr_hunt

I'm not a "local" but I did live there for a couple of years in my not-too-distant past -- be happy to share my twopence on things to do/see if you let me know where you're gonna be at.

FWIW, everyone warned me about the food but I didn't think it was bad. It did take a while to get used to having a late-night/early-morning kebab instead of a burrito tho...

Find a way to spend 3 or 4 hours at the tower of london while you are there.

Yeah, pretty cool huh. I've been there 3 times already, but Bryce has not ever been.

I think we will have the hybridz meeting at the tower of london actually on Friday at noon. Be there or be square.

I loved the tower, probably my single favorite thing about London... and I really saw it all when I was there. The London Dungeon was kindof cool too, it wasn't far from the tower IIRC. British Museum, Imperial War Museum, London Museum... all interesting stops if you're into that kind of thing!

I went to Mildenhall AFB a couple years back twice for a week at a time. I went to a few churches, it's pretty cool being inside a building that was there before the US was founded. We went to London as well and did the Tower/tower bridge/ect. but it was raining the whole time (go figure) so we cut it short. The worst part was ordering a bacon cheese burger at one of the local pubs...not at ALL what I wanted!

Dr Hunt,

If you need any advice / information on my home town, let me know. You've been here before though, so probably don't need it.

I dont understand all these comments about poor food. That's a reputation earned thirty years or more ago, and is way out of date now ( we have much more important things to complain about ).

London has a mind-boggling number of good restaurants / cafes / bistros / takeaways, with a huge range of ethnic styles. This city is a huge melting pot of nationalities and cultures, and everybody needs to eat. There's more choice here than in just about any other capital city in the world. I think you just need a good guide.....

Good Fish and Chips at "The Seashell" around the corner from Marylebone station.

Unfortunately 'The Seashell' in Lisson Grove, Marylebone burned down last week....!

I'm not saying all the food is bad, just when us Americans order a bacon cheese burger we are not expecting what the Brits consider a bacon cheese burger. The bacon is...lets say a little less done then I grew up with. Other then that, I had a great time in the UK, the Brits where even nice to us military folks.

I'm not saying all the food is bad, just when us Americans order a bacon cheese burger we are not expecting what the Brits consider a bacon cheese burger. The bacon is...lets say a little less done then I grew up with.

This was a pub in Mildenhall, Suffolk - right? Not a restaurant or eaterie in London?

If you weren't happy with it, I hope that you sent it back to the kitchen? "The customer is always right...".

I dont understand all these comments about poor food.

Just a running joke like the dozens about American stereotypes. Although I never did get use to baked beans for breakfast.

Spent a lot of time in Reading and learned that Strongbow isn't a beer, to the laughter of most everyone in the pub.

I would second the thought on the British Museum, one of my favorites.

As Alan said, the food is actually quite good if you don't hang around Picadilly or the Strand too much. Soho has an amazing array of eateries, just wander around and you'll find something you'll like. If you like spicy food, you will not find better Indian restaurants than in London (certainly not in the States). Some of the Pakistani and middle eastern eats are also very nice. Chasing everything down with a pint of Newcastle Brown or London Pride is pretty good too.

Ye Old Cheshire Cheese on Fleet Street is an interesting pub to visit if you happen to be in the City.

The burger was at a restaurant in Mildenhall (it was a couple years ago, can't remember the name of the place) and it's not that it was wrong, nothing to send back, just not what you would get in the states. I took the bacon off, and it was good. I had a great time overall and the beer is second only to what I get up here in Bend, Or. I may be a bit bias though. Overall, I would love to go back, just a little expensive when Uncle Sam's not picking up the bill.