HybridZ

Automotive racing abortions!

BRAAP

I really do not understand what is wrong? I seams everyone wants the same clone racing machine. Back in the 60s they had Old Yeller, home made Formula Vs that looked like a soap box derby cars, 3 cylinder Saabs that had 3 expansion chambers hanging out the hood and such. If you went to a road race you would see about every make and model out there in some class. That Volvo has more tech in it than most of our Zs and would probably put most of the V8 powered Zs to shame.

• Administrators
I really do not understand what is wrong? I seams everyone wants the same clone racing machine. Back in the 60s they had Old Yeller, home made Formula Vs that looked like a soap box derby cars, 3 cylinder Saabs that had 3 expansion chambers hanging out the hood and such. If you went to a road race you would see about every make and model out there in some class. That Volvo has more tech in it than most of our Zs and would probably put most of the V8 powered Zs to shame.

I agree, the technology and performance are extraordinary, :2thumbs: I have no issue with that. My point was that it "looks" really goofy with the tall windows, channeled body, clown.gif(if it isn't channeled, it sure looks like it is), and then to campaign a car at that level of competition with another makers engine under the hood? shrug.gif If it had a domestic V-8 engine, that sorta makes sense as it has been done since the dawn of drag racing V-8’s, but to use another brand of Euro engine? That’s like running a NASCAR MonteCarlo with a Ford engine? Why? scratch.gif

Drag racing is about power and acceleration! The engine is the focal point. The body is as much of the badge or business card, for the power plant as anything else! If someone is dead set on drag racing a BMW engine at that level of competition, in my mind anyhow, it just makes since to surround it in BMW clothing!

I guess my age is starting show.. :lmao:

Sounds like NHRA Top Fuel. With the current exception of Ford and their boss engine, regardless of body 'make' they're all running a variation of the chrysler hemi.

Though considering that volvo came from europe, there's a pretty decent chance it's got the Volvo twin cam I6 in it, especially with the location of that giant turbine being inconvenient for most 8's.

Unless it's an S38. That's cool to.

I see the humour in the volvo, but at the same time, I'm conflicted with the view that I like to see all kinds of cars racing, practical or not.. or else we might as well ALL drive Camaro's. (sorry to the Mustang crowd. I'm from Oshawa, the home of the new Camaro)

Has anyone seen such an abortion rival this? A professional competition vehicle?

Yes. Years ago at the Fall endruo in Medford a guy showed up with a group B vega rally car. It had wings, 4wd, and a supercharged cosworth engine. It was the first car I ever saw that could drive over the old high curbs and shifted three times down the front straight. I only wish I had picture.

Another time we had a Deacon Monza show up. A Lemans running Porsche 934 and Jose Garza's Indy car. There's been some really bizarre to really cool equipment show up over the years.

BTW -- Enduro is this weekend.

C